Tutors for Olaves in Orpington, Petts Wood, Bromley..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lilabelle

Tutors for Olaves in Orpington, Petts Wood, Bromley..

Post by Lilabelle »

Hi All,
Please can anyone PM me the details of a good tutor with a strong emphasis on creative writing and comprehension. We are about to embark on this journey and would appreciate your help.
Many thanks

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors or tutoring organisations (other than school/PTA and non-commercial organisations) to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' negative posts, seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members - check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) - who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
11plusplus

Re: Tutors for Olaves in Orpington, Petts Wood, Bromley..

Post by 11plusplus »

Tutors are helpful, no doubt, but as a guide
Tutors claim 95%, 98%, and 100% success rates - I know children who used to go to 3-4 tutors (1-1, group, maths, English) and each tutor claimed the child's success.

My personal experience - take the claims of tutors and pass rate with a pinch of salt. We were very highly recommended a tutor and we tried that tutor for 3 weeks before I pulled my child out (Tutor Tantrum, tutor attitude etc) - absolute waste of time and money (but that is my experience). The tutor was gobsmacked and shell-shocked, as no parent would have done that to the tutor. The next day on the pretext of asking if we had left anything back, the tutor called asking that the place was still available. A week later a final call, that the place for my child would be offered to another child - we did not go back and that was the best decision we made.

In the end, my child passed all the exams that we were targeting through home tutoring - this needed patience, understanding and sacrifice from both the parent and the child.

Do your homework, look at the schools you are targeting, what sort of papers does the school use (CEM, GL etc) and prepare your child accordingly.

There are good book links that this forum has - use that as a starting point. Follow the 11 plus advice and create a timetable and trust me, that will work. I am surprised that parents keep asking for tutor information when this forum has loads of information on 11+ for free.

Please get your child to attend the various mock exams to help the child overcome the nerves.

All the best for your child.
Sparkle16

Post by Sparkle16 »

11plusplus wrote:Tutors are helpful, no doubt, but as a guide
Tutors claim 95%, 98%, and 100% success rates - I know children who used to go to 3-4 tutors (1-1, group, maths, English) and each tutor claimed the child's success.

My personal experience - take the claims of tutors and pass rate with a pinch of salt. We were very highly recommended a tutor and we tried that tutor for 3 weeks before I pulled my child out (Tutor Tantrum, tutor attitude etc) - absolute waste of time and money (but that is my experience). The tutor was gobsmacked and shell-shocked, as no parent would have done that to the tutor. The next day on the pretext of asking if we had left anything back, the tutor called asking that the place was still available. A week later a final call, that the place for my child would be offered to another child - we did not go back and that was the best decision we made.

In the end, my child passed all the exams that we were targeting through home tutoring - this needed patience, understanding and sacrifice from both the parent and the child.

Do your homework, look at the schools you are targeting, what sort of papers does the school use (CEM, GL etc) and prepare your child accordingly.

There are good book links that this forum has - use that as a starting point. Follow the 11 plus advice and create a timetable and trust me, that will work. I am surprised that parents keep asking for tutor information when this forum has loads of information on 11+ for free.

Please get your child to attend the various mock exams to help the child overcome the nerves.

All the best for your child.
+1
Almost similar experience we had, however, after leaving the tutor and DIY'ing for a while we used another tutor from Term3 yr 6 till exams and YES they both included my DS on their Stats!! :lol:
Lilabelle

Post by Lilabelle »

Thank you so much for your advice. I take it all on board. The fear of the unknown combined with not being an expert in some areas makes me want to go the tutor way. My knowledge may be inadequate.. I am having learning that there is no magic formula and it's all hard work.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Hi Lilabelle, I'll pm you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now