Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: St Olave's legal challenged by year 12 students

Post by mystery »

PurpleDuck wrote:
salsa wrote:Year 11?
I know someone who in year 7, 6 months into his schooling was told that he would not be doing a language GCSE as he was no good at languages. This was during his first parents evening at St Olave's!
:shock: :shock: :shock: How can anyone pass such a damaging judgement after just 6 months into a new school, when a lot of children are still trying to come to terms with the transition from a primary? That's just outrageous.... I'm just grateful St Olave's is too far from us to have been on the radar.
They must employ some real idiots if that anecdote is true. My DH's first senior school report is full of crushing and idiotic comments like that. Fortunately, he didn't think much of his teachers so he didn't take the reports to heart.

I'm qualified and used to teach myself, but I'm sorry to say there are a small proportion of misguided souls out there, in all types of school, who think that with having acquired the label "teacher" they've got the skills to assess a child's future based on very little information whatsoever in the here and now. It's a type of power madness. Personally, I think there's more of this psychology that goes into this restriction of children's A level education for the sake of the league tables than the genuine pressure of the league tables themselves.
nikki21

Post by nikki21 »

It happened at Dartford grammar boys as well

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mahelx/statu ... 4436294660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hershel

Post by Hershel »

Sadly it happened at Dartford grammar boys school as well

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mahelx/statu ... 4436294660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11plusplus

Post by 11plusplus »

About time this happened. What are we waiting for ? A tragedy to happen before action is taken.

Let's say for arguments sake, if a top politician or MP's DS was kicked out of Y13, would have been an entirely different story.

Taking super performing kids to the exams and then boasting / bragging about x number of Oxbridge places ? Really

The league tables need to show how many below average were moved to average, how average moved to performers and how performers to top performers

Perhaps it would be best for this school to turn private and be as snooty as they wanted to - not take public money funding (paid through Income tax, council tax and various other forms) as is happening now.

One needs to see a job fitment and given the current obsession for league tables, this headmaster would perhaps have been more successful at breeding racehorses and show jumping.

(Just my opinion)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The draft 6th form admission document for Burnham Grammar for 2018 states 2 or more D's plus 85% attendance to continue into year 13. Not a very high bar, but as I mentioned above, each year some leave at the end of year 12. I suspect a student with two Ds may well spend more than 2 years in the 6th form.
scary mum
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hershel wrote:Sadly it happened at Dartford grammar boys school as well

This link doesn't work for me? Does it work for anybody else?

Thanks.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

It says it doesn't exist.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The tweet has been deleted.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Oh, what did it say?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

So have I got this right :? - are all schools now compelled to adopt the policy that no student can be forcefully evicted no matter what their performance is in lower sixth ?

Would this also apply to private schools ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now