Which Bexley school?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
joolz32

Which Bexley school?

Post by joolz32 »

Hi all,

I've been trying to read up on all three Bexley Grammars for my DD. So far we've visited Townley and Chis and Sid. The children at Chis and Sid seemed confident and happy and there was a lovely atmosphere. However, the building and exam results aren't so impressive. Everything about Townley seemed spectacular but I worry as my daughter swims for 5 hours a week and I'd worry about how much work she'd have to do. We saw BGS last year and liked it, too.

We're less than a mile from Townley, about 1.7 from BGS and about 2.8 from Chis and Sid so I'm not worried about distances.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or experience they could offer please?
shelley75

Re: Which Bexley school?

Post by shelley75 »

I personally wasn't that keen on Townley. I don't think single sex would be right for my DD as she's a tomboy and has had a boy best friend since year 1.

For me Townley felt too focused on how spectacular it was, whereas Chis n Sid felt like a family. I did the head's tour and it felt like he really cared about the kids. Also DD is passionate about art and was stunned by the facilities at Chis n Sid. Townley was amazing too but DD liked Chis more.

All of the schools are fantastic and get spectacular results so I think the choice is what you'd think is the best for for your child.

I could actually see my DD there in the building. It was a nice feeling.

We're visiting Bexley on Tuesday but DD isn't that into languages and I don't think she'd like having to do two at GCSE (not a deal breaker at all).

We live less than a mile from Chis n Sid so it's walkable for us and that's a bit plus for me so maybe I looked at the school with confirmation bias.

To be honest I really don't think you can go wrong.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Hi joolz32,

Does your DD have a preference? I was in the same position as you 4 years ago. We knew that we lived close enough to get into any of the 3 schools. After visiting them all I knew that Chis & Sids was the best fit for my DD, I couldn't "see" her at either of the others and it has proved to be the right decision. She has been happy there since induction day, far happier than she ever was at primary school. Different schools fit different children though and I think if your DD is showing a preference, that would probably be the way to go. All 3 of the schools have opening mornings/evenings this week if you wanted to have another look around.
Catjellycat

Post by Catjellycat »

I don't have much advice except that I wouldn't put a lot of stock in results of children who sat exams 6 years before your child will.

I liked Chis and Sid and I wasn't sure I would. Going to see BGS on Tuesday and if it's about the same for ds, I'll got for the walkable option. Most of my stress at school came from the bus journey!
Mum at home

Post by Mum at home »

We are going ahead with Townley. Anyone walking from Bexley?
joolz32

Post by joolz32 »

Thank you for your replies. I agree that CSGS had a lovely feel to it. It feels like my DD would possibly be happier there than at TG. It would probably take about 30 mins to get there in the morning.

We still have the CSGS and BGS evenings and the BGS and TG mornings to go. X
Thirdtimer3

Post by Thirdtimer3 »

I think after the open events you will have more of a feel for what is right - my boys are both at BGS and they felt it suited them more than Beth's and is much closer than Chis and Sid. The journey is simpler and they can walk
They are showing parents around at the open events and are both excited to show off their school *** (nervous too and proud and want to make a good impression of the school - this alone makes me assured that they went to the right place for them )
Good luck x
joolz32

Post by joolz32 »

You're completely right, Thirdtimer. We're looking forwards to the BGS open day. I went there as a teenager so it will be fun to see the changes! I feel very lucky to be in this position so I guess the best thing to do is to have fun and watch how our DCs feel and act in each school.
Gingertomcat

Post by Gingertomcat »

I came with my Y5 daughter, my oldest is already at Townley, she absolutely loved it, we came on the Open Evening, yes, it was spectacular, that's why, I came along to the Open Morning too, to see the working school, which was equally impressive! Townley has the edge for us.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now