Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:35 am 

We went to see Beths last night and we LOVED it. I especially loved the boys, who were just the loveliest, happiest, most enthusiastic bunch of kids ever. My son really liked it too.

We live in Petts Wood so should be comfortably inside the distance offered by Beths (he passed the test, but not top 180). But I'm worried about the journey. While it's an easy 20-minute drive, it's an hour on public transport - two trains, or a train and a bus. I keep thinking that if he'd been there helping at the open evening last night, he'd have had an hour's schlep to get home at 8pm. And that applies to after-school clubs, sports matches, etc etc.

My son also loved Ravens Wood (half an hour and one bus away) and he's very keen on the new Bullers Boys too (also half an hour, maybe a bit less, and one short train ride away).

Does anyone here have a son doing this journey or a comparable one, and how do they find it? How important would you say the journey is?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:55 am 

Hi
Our son (Yr11) was helping out at the open evening last night. Most likely in the music room as this is one of his subjects. Our experiences of BETHS have been smooth and straightforward. Our son was the only boy in his intake from his primary school but he quickly settled in and has a great group of friends. Initially we wondered if we'd regret not opting for the slightly closer Chis and Sid, but we have never done so. Our son's journey is a little different to what you are looking at, travelling from Lee to Bexley followed by a 10 min walk up to the school. Around 50 mins in total. It quickly became routine and he only rarely experiences train troubles.

Best wishes filling in the CAF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:44 pm 

Hi. My son is at Beths and travels in from Petts Wood by train every day.

The journey itself is easy.....PW to Hither Green, then Hither Green to Bexley. Like any journey, there is some waiting between trains, but he never travels on his own. Coming home, he gets the 15.55 every day from Bexley and arrives back into PW at 16.36. Sometimes earlier, if the earlier train is running late. There are quite a few boys who travel in by train from various places, so it is a very sociable journey. Majority of the boys who my son travels with are not in his form group, so he has his train buddies and his class mates. It's been a huge confidence boost for him too and he has become quite a hardened commuter!

He has also tried the bus, but the trains are more reliable, not so crowded and definitely more sociable.

As far as open events etc go, my son was there last night helping. I just went and picked him up, as that time of evening it's only about 15 minutes in the car. I know there were some boys that would have got the train home though.

We also considered C&S when we were choosing schools but my sons preference was Beths. He is very happy there and I have no concerns with the school at all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:55 pm 

blondegirl wrote:
While it's an easy 20-minute drive, it's an hour on public transport - two trains, or a train and a bus. I keep thinking that if he'd been there helping at the open evening last night, he'd have had an hour's schlep to get home at 8pm. And that applies to after-school clubs, sports matches, etc etc.

Is it an hour door-to-door? Or an hour on the transport plus walks at each end?

An hour overall is a do-able journey, I think, just about. My son's is 45-50 minutes and it's OK - he reads on the train, sometimes even does homework, and the 20 minute walk to the station each morning is about his only exercise so I wouldn't want to lose it.

If it's an hour-plus-walking, for us that would be too much.

Bear in mind that if you can get to school in 20 mins in the car, it means you can collect your son if he's there really late, or he could potentially get a taxi for occasional one-off late nights. It also means that you can get there easily for parents evenings and productions and PTA events and all that other stuff, which is important.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 pm 

our eldest is at Beths and to be honest its an easier journey than many local schools - which rely on unreliable buses - or multi-buses etc.

07:24–07:38
Train Petts Wood [PET] Hither Green [HGR] Stops
07:42–07:58
Train Hither Green [HGR] Bexley [BXY]

the 7:42 from HG is full of Beths kids, and if he missed it the next train still get in just on time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm 

I know two boys who travel from PW. One started off catching two buses, but this proved tricky when, say, one bus was cancelled or delayed and sometimes he was home well after 5pm. He now travels by train (as does the other lad), using the route described by candyfloss. My son also travels my train to school, going in the opposite direction, and as far as I can tell, a train journey can be a lot less hassle (and faster) than travelling by bus. Take Ravenswood, for example: although it seems like a straightforward journey from Petts Wood, the buses are extremely crowded and you often have to wait for a long time for a bus on the way home due to them being full, unless you're one of the first boys out of school. Another friend's son was coming home well after 4.30pm during year 7.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:12 pm 

DS travels to Beth’s from Bickley. He gets just one bus, the 269, from near Bickley Station and as a pp said, a lot of his social life is on the buses (Townley girls get the same buses!)
If he comes straight home, he can be back by 4.20 but he usually faffs around in Bexley village and so is home closer to 4.45.

DS2 is starting in September so hasn’t been put off by the journey!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 am 

This is really helpful, thanks. With the help of your input I think we're edging towards putting Beths as top preference, with RW second. Then if Beths doesn't come out as far this year we've got a good alternative. We've also applied to the new Bullers Boys, which he's actually very keen on (he likes the uniform :roll: ) and could be a good choice for us.

It's a headache, isn't it?!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:54 am 

I was very impressed with what they were saying about Bullers Boys and if DS hadn’t passed Bexley, I think we’d have chosen it over Ravenswood.