Head of St Olave's suspended

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
piggys

Head of St Olave's suspended

Post by piggys »

It's officlal. Aydan Onac has been suspended 'pending an investigation'.

Doesn't fill you with confidence, does it?
piggys

Re: HEAD OF ST OLAVE'S SUSPENDED

Post by piggys »

Just read it in the Graun. Can anyone link, please? sorry I don't know how. :oops:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41683012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The grammar school head teacher at the centre of a row about pupils not being able to stay on to take A-levels has been suspended.
Aydin Onac has been suspended as head of St Olave's school in Orpington
Parents had threatened legal action after pupils had to leave the school before the final upper sixth year.
It raised questions about schools improving their league table positions by only letting the most able pupils stay on take A-levels.
After a high-profile protest, the school reversed its decision and allowed pupils to return.
But the school's governors have now decided that he should be suspended.

etc
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Funnily enough, just spoken to a friend who had decided her son wouldn’t sit the second test and has now changed her mind as Onac’s future is less certain.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Thanks Guest55. There is also the highly dodgy issue of the way he and the school bursar - allegedly - created a private company to own the school's 'trademarks' and proceeded to appoint themselves sole shareholders.

I'm sure M. Thatcher would be proud, but in my book that's grasping and venal.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:Thanks Guest55. There is also the highly dodgy issue of the way he and the school bursar - allegedly - created a private company to own the school's 'trademarks' and proceeded to appoint themselves sole shareholders.

I'm sure M. Thatcher would be proud, but in my book that's grasping and venal.
That's possibly the polite description?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

Very polite, Toadmum. I have just been reading Simon Hattenstone's article about what Onic did to SN provision when he was the Head at Fortismere. It sounds illegal. :shock:
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Controversial I know but I really don't get the hype over this school - parents seem so obsessed with getting their boys into it, I believe purely on its reputation and kudos. I know now of 3 parents who all pulled their boys out of this school early, and all 3 boys went on to be hugely successful in their A levels and are now at great unis, and by all accounts it was the best decision their parents said they made ...

sorry just my opinion, if it's SS you're after, give me DGS, Judd or Skinners any day of the week ...

All said though, perhaps this is the turning point for Olaves, I hope so for the sake of the current pupils who clearly work very hard
mystery

Post by mystery »

Very heartening to hear of a local authority and chair of govs doing something to stop more dodginess for a change.

Although of course he could be reinstated.

Would have been more complicated perhaps had it been an academy. Great picture of him in the times. Looks a bit unbalanced!

Good timing for cafs.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

From today's Times:

'Yesterday pupils and teachers were summoned to a meeting shortly after 3pm to be told the news. Witnesses told The Times that pupils clapped and cheered'.

(It should, of course, be pointed out that suspension sending an enquiry is a 'neutral' action, not in itself a punishment. Not sure the pupils are quite seeing it that way, for some reason, though :roll: ).
Last edited by ToadMum on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now