St Olave’s

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: St Olave’s

Post by mystery »

Let's hope somebody helps him find a lovely job elsewhere. Plenty of independent schools where he can remove pupils as he wishes.

Or the local authority can employ him as a superhead to send round schools moving on some not so good heads.

Only a madman would want to go back by the sounds of it.

It's a good job it was not an academy. They'd most likely still be stuck with him if it was.
Catjellycat

Post by Catjellycat »

I've worked in education under some tyrants and they work in a very similar way to the school bully. Whilst one be aware that their behaviour is terrible, there is often plain ol' relief it's not you in the firing line. Yes 'first they came for the slightly inept drama teacher and I did not speak out...' but it's how bullying works and it can take a lot of gumption to accept that by speaking out, you're all but aiming the crosshairs at yourself.

Education is a funny ol' game. A jaunt onto the TES forums would be eye opening for most parents, I think.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Catjellycat wrote:I've worked in education under some tyrants and they work in a very similar way to the school bully. Whilst one be aware that their behaviour is terrible, there is often plain ol' relief it's not you in the firing line. Yes 'first they came for the slightly inept drama teacher and I did not speak out...' but it's how bullying works and it can take a lot of gumption to accept that by speaking out, you're all but aiming the crosshairs at yourself.

Education is a funny ol' game. A jaunt onto the TES forums would be eye opening for most parents, I think.
I am sorry to hear that! Teaching is hard enough!

The worry is that those who stay agree with the headteacher. So, even if he goes, there would be others to carry on doing "his work".

Salsa
Hels67

Post by Hels67 »

mystery wrote:Let's hope somebody helps him find a lovely job elsewhere. Plenty of independent schools where he can remove pupils as he wishes.

Or the local authority can employ him as a superhead to send round schools moving on some not so good heads.

Only a madman would want to go back by the sounds of it.

It's a good job it was not an academy. They'd most likely still be stuck with him if it was.
Removing children from schools because of league tables has been happening for decades. Skinners, Judd, Newstead Woods. I work with someone who was kicked out of Newstead Woods 18 years ago and my son’s coaches daughter was kicked out 10 years ago. My husband works with someone who’s daughter was scoring 93% in maths at Townley and he was told it’s not good enough- she needs to be scoring 97%. Don’t be fooled by this negative press. The anti-grammar brigade will bring St Os down and then come for the rest of them.
kumi

Post by kumi »

It seems there were not many children went for stage 2. Must be about 250.
Hershel

Post by Hershel »

There were two sessions
kumi

Post by kumi »

when was the first session? did they call according to their scores?
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Normally there is a morning and afternoon session of about 200-250 in each session for the second round tests.
Due to the current crisis I think that applications may well be down this year so chances are good! Hopefully, if there is a new head, the school will move forward again with its reputation restored. My son is also enjoying his time there and the work has stretched him, but not too much! He gets less homework than he did in Primary school! There are also several clubs to join and he has met a lot of like minded friends. We have had cause to test the pastoral system once this term and had a swift and really supportive and positive response.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Discussion from a year ago about numbers sitting the second stage exam:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... es#p599958

Perhaps the school will email current parents this year to tell them how many sat the exam (although the figure the school quoted last year was queried).

Just a thought, but I wonder whether some people will actually have been put off the school by it backing down and rescinding its decision to exclude the 'failing' year 12s?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Another article in The Times about this today. I won't link as it is behind a paywall, but it is about parents supportive of the suspended head standing for office on the PA and the elections going to a postal ballot. Much more exciting than our PTA!
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now