Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:03 am 

Just to give a little hope to those who narrowly missed out on the Bexley test. I have it on good authority that for some reason Chis & Sid couldn't fill their 192 places last year so they offered 5 places to local kids who achieved just below the passmark.

All those who apply in or out of borough who are deemed selective get first dibs after which they then offered below passmark. They need to fill all places to get maximum funding.

Just in case any of you want to still put it on your CAF.

Must say I was shocked by this news!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:45 am 

It is true, I know that Chis and Sid and Townley have both offered places to those who narrowly missed the pass mark. I was quite surprised by this news too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 am 

Quite common for a lot of movement on places. Some parents hold state school places then eventually go for the indie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:13 am 

Common for there to be movement after offer day. Uncommon for selective schools to invite children who've failed their selection tests to apply for a place after offer day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:23 am 

Yes we knew this too, in fact when C&S visited our school late last year, they told us that they gave 5 places under and said they went to local children. It is very encouraging especially for those local kids that just missed out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:50 pm 

Hopeful123*** wrote:
Yes we knew this too, in fact when C&S visited our school late last year, they told us that they gave 5 places under and said they went to local children. It is very encouraging especially for those local kids that just missed out.

It's refreshing to know that schools are volunteering this information - my sister called the school last week, she said the lady she spoke to was very helpful and honest re expectations. The lady also said that one child joined year 8 this September following a successful 12+. Unfortunately I don't think this helps my sisters DD (for Sept 2018 anyway) - she was 3 marks under and lives outside of borough.

But it's good to know local kids still have a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:19 pm 

I wonder what the lowest score was they offered? Regardless it's good to know that some children who just missed a pass may still have a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:14 am 

Agreed, we were told the same when C&S visited our primary. We also had visits from TGS & Beths who gave a similar message.

They did emphasise though that places would only be allocated once all successful applicants had been offered a place, but even so, there's always a chance. We got the feeling that they are very keen to get more local children into their schools - IMO this is a good thing.