Chis and Sid - opinions please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mich895

Re: Chis and Sid - opinions please

Post by Mich895 »

Hi Uncle Buck, I think my DD had about 15/16 subjects on her two week rotation timetable. It's not complex and they soon get used to it. I know other schools that do the same thing. I would think that most secondary schools have a similar number of subjects.
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

Hey, thanks for that info! I wonder if they are following the Skinners model it does take a bit of digesting - but I kinda guess there are a lot of new & fresh subjects for all the Year 7s too pick up on and it's how you timetable that delivery. It would be roughly 16 subjects when you look at the Skinners list if they were doing French, German and say Latin as well.
Uncle Buck
phina1

Post by phina1 »

This is what it says about curriculum on their website:
Year 7: On entry our students study the full range of traditional subjects in addition to German, French and Latin as part of Key Stage 3.

So, 3 languages (bit much in my opinion, one of the things I didn't like about the school), English, Maths, Science, History, Geography, Computer Science, RS, PE, Music, Drama, Art and D&T (It says they rotate around Textiles, Food Tech and Product Design with a term on each). That's 15, not sure what is left for the 16th subject, so perhaps someone can enlighten us!

I can't see that would be any different from other schools with the exception of the number of languages.

And yes, I have heard they have a two week timetable to fit it all in! But then I had a two week timetable back when I was at school and you quickly get used to it.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Just checked DD's old planner and it was 15 subjects. Yes the tech subjects are split in to three terms and so you get a term of each. My DD loved doing the languages, having never done anything at primary, and is taking French and German for GCSE.
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

Thanks so much for checking his journal - that's real helpful.
Great that my questions have been all cleared up! Great forum...
With thanks
Uncle Buck
SashaK

Post by SashaK »

Number 16 is probably 'Skills for Life' PSHE type stuff - one period per fortnight.
The 2 week timetable works fine, most schools have them.
phina1

Post by phina1 »

Hi Louise - Just wondering what school you chose for your son in the end?
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

I found this thread very helpful, thanks all. Chis & Sid is now second on our list after Dartford. Skinners seems a great school but just a bit too far from Orpington, and son wants Chis & Sid to go above it. Great to read good accounts of it.
Louise23

Post by Louise23 »

Hi Phina

We put Chis and Sid first choice - DS was top 180 so he will definitely be going next Sep. Since hearing the positive feedback here, I have also spoken with a friend of a friend who works in the school. He commented on “the lovely atmosphere and nice kids”. DS really wanted this school and everything works for us as a family re the early start, location and journey. So all good.

What did you decide??
phina1

Post by phina1 »

Chis & Sid first for us too, we're about 3.5 miles (he'll be taking the train from Lee), so based on previous years, we should get in first round as well. You never know for sure, but fingers crossed!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now