Chis and Sid - opinions please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shelley75

Re: Chis and Sid - opinions please

Post by shelley75 »

Chis n Sids is our first choice for DD.

We live less than a mile away so its walkability is a big plus (her primary school is next door so she can pop in and pick her little sister up with me).

It is tricky putting down the school that is the only grammar in Bexley without an outstanding Ofsted but I used to be a teacher and I know that Ofsted means very little for the actual experience of the child.

I know several kids in years 7-9 and everyone is really happy there. No one whose child goes there has a bad word to say about the school. I loved the vibe of the place; it felt really friendly. I actually like the fact that it doesn't get sky high results. To me this means that they don't hide their kids who aren't doing as well or they don't apply major pressure. I think a grammar school environment is naturally quite pressurised - they don't need to over egg the pudding.
phina1

Post by phina1 »

I'm following with interest as we've put Chis & Sid first on our CAF and I've really not seen too much about it on this forum - lots of people asking for opinions of Newstead vs Townley or Beths vs Bexley, but not many asking about Chis & Sid and I'd be interested to know why that is?

Whilst we liked Beth's, we weren't blown away by it and in the end preferred Chis & Sid (DS didn't seem keen on single sex and chose Chis & Sid over Beths himself). We wouldn't get into Bexley and decided the Kent grammars are just too far. We have friends with children in Year 7, 10 & 11 at Chis & Sid and they are all very happy with the school.

Although quite a few children from our primary school passed the Bexley Test, there were very few boys and I think DS could end up not knowing any other boys that choose Chis & Sid. Perhaps, when we all find out where the kids are going, we should arrange a get together for some of the boys that get Chis & Sid but don't really know anyone else going?
lefol

Post by lefol »

I have a ds at Chis and Sid and it is an excellent school . I really cannot fault it even if I try hard to be critical . They have done incredibly well with ds. With all schools, you get very good teachers and some not that good but overall, all the teachers I have encountered are really good . They are good on discipline and yes, they do give detentions but it is only to enforce discipline . The teachers are kind and if you email them to explain problems on the bus routes, they do understand . Ds is incredibly lazy and they have managed to keep him on track . If you click on the information for parents on the website, you will find they have a range of extra curricular activities . Emails are responded to within hours and certainly on the same day . Pastoral care is equally good and if you raise any issues, they deal with them in a sensitive way and would respect confidentiality if requested . Ds was lazy in year 10 and my concern was that he may not achieve his predicted A in maths . The maths teacher worked extremely hard with him and his grades improved from a B to an A at GCSE . They have a number of trips for each year group , again they are advertised under information for parents . You have enough time to save for trips abroad which I also find reasonable . I had one da in the private sector and looking back, Chis and Sid overall was far better than my 16k a year indie . Any questions pm. At A level, they have a range of subjects but require an exam for those taking maths .
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

I think C&S do suffer at CAF filling time for not having an "outstanding" from OFSTED but I took no notice of this because in the long run it is down to each child how they get on, the school can only do so much. I have a friend who sent their child to the local "outstanding" comp and the child left without passing GCSE in maths and english, this was before the changes this year. For me the most important thing is that my DD is happy there. Teenagers go through so much in the years they are at school, everything seems to be a drama especially with girls :roll: If they are happy at secondary school and enjoy going to school every day, that is a major plus for me.
Louise23

Post by Louise23 »

Thanks to everyone for sharing your views and opinions. I think I had the feeling it was the right choice for DS and am now even more convinced. It is reassuring to hear responses about happy children and good pastoral care. Good communication is key too. Think we are going for Chis and Sid number one choice.

On a practical note can any current parents please tell me from what time the children are allowed in the school grounds/ building if they arrive before 8.15 and can they buy breakfast? Also if they don’t have an after school club or sporting commitment do they have to leave at 3 or can they for example go to the library to do homework??

Many thanks
Louise23

Post by Louise23 »

Also, in response to Phina. Yes, most definitely will be interested in meeting up nearer the time if your DS is going. Good luck with your decision making.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Hi Louise23,

I don't know what time the site opens but my DD gets to school around 7.45, as she likes to spend time with friends before the school day starts, and she is able to go to the canteen and she can buy things to eat and drink. As for staying after school, she has never done that! Lol
phina1

Post by phina1 »

When we looked around, they told us there was homework club every day in the library where the kids can go to get their homework done. So if you didn't want him to come straight home (e.g. to an empty house), he can go there for a while and get his homework out the way at the same time.

I guess, we'll all be back online when we find out where they are going in March so can get in touch to arrange meet-ups over the summer. Based on recent posts about Chis & Sid offering local kids that missed out by 1 or 2 points to fill their spaces and the fact that kids from our way usually get in from the first round, I'm fairly confident we should get a space, although who knows for sure!?
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

Evening all! Thanks for this post everyone - lots of info. A friend has a son in current Year 7 he was talking (on the touch line) about his son doing 16 subjects on a two week rotation timetable. Does anyone know anything about this? Being a bloke I didn't quiz him and wish I had! 16 subjects sounds complex...
Thanks
Uncle Buck
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Uncle Buck wrote:Evening all! Thanks for this post everyone - lots of info. A friend has a son in current Year 7 he was talking (on the touch line) about his son doing 16 subjects on a two week rotation timetable. Does anyone know anything about this? Being a bloke I didn't quiz him and wish I had! 16 subjects sounds complex...
Thanks
Uncle Buck
Not sure about Chis and Sid but expect it's like the curriculum at Skinners' here:

http://www.skinners-school.co.uk/school/curriculum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does look complex!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now