Newstate Wood or Townley Grammer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

faltu10

Newstate Wood or Townley Grammer

Post by faltu10 »

Hi All,
I'm new to the area and parent of 1st and only child. Can anybody guide which School from past experiences and word of mouth.
scary mum

Re: Newstate Wood or Townley Grammer

Post by scary mum »

Other parents may be able to advise you more easily if you say what you are looking for in a school. Different schools suit different children. Is your child sporty, do they have a particular academic interest (may be too early to say), do they enjoy drama or the arts? Do you think they may need good pastoral support. Above all, which is the easiest journey? A child who is not exhausted from a long or difficult journey will probably be happy wherever they are.
scary mum
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I don’t know Townley Grammar as well as I know Newstead Wood as DD is at the latter but had some primary school friends who went to Townley.

Both are quite multicultural with self driven girls

Differences include:
Class sizes - Townley has 32 in a class, Newstead 27 for Y7-9, often smaller for GCSE classes

Compulsory subjects - NW has RPE, Townley had dance when we looked round which put DD off, I don’t know of that has changed. I gather Townley also strongly push for triple science but Newstead give the girls a choice. Townley also strongly push for a language, NW have great language choices but don’t make it compulsory.

Location - as someone said it is important to easily get to the school. NW is less urban and less polluted

Music - NW has a great music tradition with choirs, soul groups, ukulele band, orchestra and they have connections with the excellent and nearby Bromley Youth Music Trust.

DD has loved her time at Newstead and the Head is very energetic and engaged. They’ve always had a full complement of teaching staff and most teaching is excellent with only the occasional mediocre teacher. The school encourages the girls to themselves and DD has a lovely set of caring and supportive friends.
faltu10

Post by faltu10 »

thanks PettswoodFiona ans Scray mum.

we will move closer to which ever school we choose for her as both are quite far to travel so not looking at that criteria but over all lie you siad bit early to see what she really likes.
Loves both sports and music(sings and pays for school choir in primary.

just one clarifications on newstate am i correct that you have to be in 9miles radius and depending on scores(merit) allocations are done and it does not matter if you live close or far.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The admissions policy for Newstead Wood School is here.

The relevant part that you are asking about is:
Girls whose permanent place of residence is within a 9-mile radius of the
school and girls of a member of Newstead Wood staff who has been
employed at the school for two or more years at the time of application to
sit the test who live outside a 9-mile radius of the school in rank order
I can't see anything about when you would need to be within the 9 miles, but someone local may be able to help you there.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It's possible that you can move up to 3rd December, but tbh, I would assume you needed to be moved by the date of application, if no earlier date is mentioned (too much risk of 'slippage' taking you past the deadline if working to a 'last possible' one).

https://www.bromley.gov.uk/download/dow ... ooklet.pdf

Thursday 3 December - Last date late applications with exceptional circumstances and proven changes of
address will be considered for National Offer Day.
Permanent proven residential addresses at this date will be used for the application
process.
Subsequent moves will be investigated and discussed with the relevant school
/s.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

For Newstead you do need to be within the 9 mile radius at 'some point', submit the Supplementary information form (SIF), sit the test, get a qualifying score and put the school on the CAF to gain entry to the school. If you get a qualifying score then it doesn't matter if you live 8 miles away or 1 mile away, your DD is treated the same. It has always been an unclear point as to 'when' you need be with the 9 mile radius. Do check with the admissions team at the school, they are very helpful (and report back as no one ever does!) about what they say. It is mostly likely like ToadMum says, in line with the Bromley admissions date of notification of change of address but it isn't laid out clearly anywhere in the Newstead admissions criteria. When you submit the SIF it will include information about your current address and any PP status.