Bexley Test 2017 - Raw & Standardised Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
turnip08

Bexley Test 2017 - Raw & Standardised Scores

Post by turnip08 »

Slightly delayed perhaps, but don't think there is a post on this from this year's test so, in order to help future users, please provide the following information:

Age (e.g. 10y3m)

VR (Verbal Reasoning): ? / out of 106 + standardised score
NR (Numerical Reasoning) : ? / 40 + std score
NVR: ? / 53 + std score

Total Standardised Score: ?
Tinkers

Re: Bexley Test 2017 - Raw & Standardised Scores

Post by Tinkers »

Previous years’ data about raw scores vs standardised scores won’t really help as the difficulty and cohort for each year are different.

I’m also not sure many if anyone will have their raw scores.
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

You can get raw scores from emailing Bexley Selection Test with name/candidate number. On the Kent forum lots of parents have requested raw scores and posted for all to see.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Score matters a lot more in Kent because of the superselectives and what seems to be a fixed pass mark. In Bexley, you have the 180 top (which obviously is relative), a shifting pass mark, and most places allocated on pass + distance. I must admit I can't get very interested in the raw scores even for Kent; you get them doing the best they can and hope for the best...
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Am I right in thinking that the raw scorers are the actual number of correct answers?

If so, other than a general interest, do you need to know this for any other reason? (Serious question, genuinely not being snipey)
The Lamp Post

Post by The Lamp Post »

Perhaps for transparency, with regards to Kent couldn't help feel the work against a Bell Curve, which may be manipulated, e.g. there was increase in boys passing this year in Kent, but not girls.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

The Lamp Post wrote:Perhaps for transparency, with regards to Kent couldn't help feel the work against a Bell Curve, which may be manipulated, e.g. there was increase in boys passing this year in Kent, but not girls.
11+ systems have always adjusted results to reflect the fact that boys develop a bit later than girls, haven't they? But there are hardly any mixed sex grammars in Kent anyway, are there, so little competition for places.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Boys and girls are not scored differently. Standardisation does not take gender into account. Only age.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The Lamp Post wrote:Perhaps for transparency, with regards to Kent couldn't help feel the work against a Bell Curve, which may be manipulated, e.g. there was increase in boys passing this year in Kent, but not girls.

Presumably there was no change at all in the number of boys sitting the test, etc?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Tinkers wrote:Boys and girls are not scored differently. Standardisation does not take gender into account. Only age.
So that's an urban myth/ outdated? That does make sense. I was told it with great confidence when I was growing up (and also more recently by other parents) but had noticed there was no indication from any tutors/ official sites that it was the case.