12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

neverdie

12+

Post by neverdie »

Does any body know what the 12+ is about?how do we prepare ( in case we don't pass)
Mintan

Re: 12+

Post by Mintan »

Hi
Hopefully you won't need this after tomorrow!
According to the Bexley website, children can still apply after start of year 7 to the school if vacancies arise.
It says you should apply directly to the school.
Not sure about Bexley but I know someone did a year 8 test for another grammar this year and they had to do a test .

Mintan
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I think each admissions document for the school will explain. Their waiting lists stay open until the end of the year and so those who pass but still don't get a place e.g. on distance will have priority during that time. Townley has occasionally in the past gone down to one or two points below the pass mark. There is no formal 12+ in Bexley that I know of, there is one of the Home Counties that has this as a formal point of entry which does create confusion and expectations. There would only be another test should a place become available as I don't believe they add additional students in Y8 unlike the odd other region. As so few people do this the number being able to give advice will be very small and may or may not be on this forum. Good luck for the result tomorrow, this was us two years ago. I still remember how nerve wracking it was.
Godfather

Post by Godfather »

There is a 12+ happens in June/ july of year 7- i the no it is same subjects as 11 plus
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Good luck to everyone for their results. My DC are in older years but here is my recommendation based on our experiences. Yes, there is a 12+ in Bexley but it is not widely known, call the council. We found a few places did came up in grammars and superselectives in years 8, 9, and 10 for a variety of reasons (parents moving DCs to indies or moving abroad). To access this you must be on the waiting lists (I'd call the school first). For Bexley grammars you must have passed the Bexley and you may be asked to retake an exam for year 8 (ie., the 12+) + an exam in the new language you have started in year 7. For all schools you want refresh your place on the waiting list every year, don't assume you are still on it. I know of 4 children who joined Newstead in year 10 and 3 who joined Chis & Sid in years 8/9. Both Townley and Newstead have dropped below their initial intake grade in recent years.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

bluesea wrote:Good luck to everyone for their results. My DC are in older years but here is my recommendation based on our experiences. Yes, there is a 12+ in Bexley but it is not widely known, call the council. We found a few places did came up in grammars and superselectives in years 8, 9, and 10 for a variety of reasons (parents moving DCs to indies or moving abroad). To access this you must be on the waiting lists (I'd call the school first). For Bexley grammars you must have passed the Bexley and you may be asked to retake an exam for year 8 (ie., the 12+) + an exam in the new language you have started in year 7. For all schools you want refresh your place on the waiting list every year, don't assume you are still on it. I know of 4 children who joined Newstead in year 10 and 3 who joined Chis & Sid in years 8/9. Both Townley and Newstead have dropped below their initial intake grade in recent years.
Newstead is in Bromley, not Bexley.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Thanks Toadmum. My point was that places do come up in grammar schools for many different reasons. The thread is called 12+, there'll be many parents from the South East reading this thread.
cornucopia

Post by cornucopia »

Bexley has an in-year admissions test, which is informally referred to as the 12+. It is held either monthly or quarterly - can't remember now. You apply direct to the school (s) and they tell you about test arrangements. My son took it a couple of years ago. You can take it once in any academic year, and I think you have to wait a year after taking the 11+. Many of the children who take it are those who didn't pass the 11+ first time.
The test is computerised but otherwise is similar to the 11+. My son felt it was very time - pressured. There were about 25 kids taking the exam at the same time. If you pass, you can then go on the waiting list for a grammar place & places are still offered in order of proximity to the school. One boy I know didn't pass the 11+ but then didn't get on well at his (generally good) school. He took the 12+ in yr 8 or 9 and got a great score - I think he just took longer to get into his stride. He was told he was something like 60th in line for a place at his chosen grammar, but actually got a place a month later.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now