Newstead

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bromley mum

Re: Newstead

Post by bromley mum »

bluesea wrote:Why were staffing costs allowed to get to 90% though? How do you run the rest of the school on the last 10%?
If staff are experienced and are performing well then they progress up the scale which has cost implications. I don't think schools can deny progression if targets have been met. Some of the staff have been there for YEARS and so are highly experienced and at the top of the scales.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Yes, I know of a different, non grammar school with a large deficit. It irritates me that the public in general don't know how tough it is for some heads to run their schools within such tight budgets. I don't expect Mr Hind will make the situation any better, just throw more money at free schools and grammars.

At NW there had been a lot of new teachers in the last couple of years I believe? Quite a few staff left during the time of the short term head (who left after 15, or it may have been 18 months) and a friend said they had hired some NQTs. Presumably the school would have put those new teachers on salaries much lower down the salary scale? Hard to really lower that 90% staff cost though, even if you can employ some teachers on lower salaries. The high staff cost must have been building up over a long period.

Still don't understand how NW can run their sch on the last 10% of the budget though?
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

bluesea wrote:
At NW there had been a lot of new teachers in the last couple of years I believe? Quite a few staff left during the tme of the short term head (who left after 15, or it may have been 18 months) and a friend said they had hired some NQTs.

Still don't understand how NW can run their sch on the last 10% of the budget though?
I think they have had a couple who left who had either moved away from the area or got a promotion elsewhere. I heard there were one or two who were on maternity leave. I don't think there are any NQT but I may be wrong.

As far as running the school is concerned that must be with great difficulty I should imagine! Explains the state of the building. And they have been using reserves so that would have added to the 10%
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

bromley mum wrote:
bluesea wrote:
At NW there had been a lot of new teachers in the last couple of years I believe? Quite a few staff left during the tme of the short term head (who left after 15, or it may have been 18 months) and a friend said they had hired some NQTs.

I think they have had a couple who left who had either moved away from the area or got a promotion elsewhere. I heard there were one or two who were on maternity leave. I don't think there are any NQT but I may be wrong.

As far as running the school is concerned that must be with great difficulty I should imagine! Explains the state of the building. And they have been using reserves so that would have added to the 10%
There were quite a few who left in 2014/2015 as you know. Why would you imagine it is a great difficulty running a school on 10%? You know. You are one of their current school governors, aren't you? Easily traceable - I went back through some of your old postings. I know you. Do you think this is ethical posting and communicating with current parents via this forum when they don't know who you are and your professional connection to the school? Would you like to comment?
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Silence. Pity, I'm sure a few of us would have liked to ask about the persistent absence of 20.3% on the Dept of Educ website.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

NW has today announced the new principal (interestingly not called Headteacher) from September 2018, one of the current deputy heads.

bromley mum - any thoughts?
Snoop67

Post by Snoop67 »

Great news regarding the appointment of Mr Blount. Why are you still so interested in what’s happening at Newstead bluesea? Thought your daughter had left.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I gather he was the top choice amongst the girls, I don’t know if that is a recommendation or not, but can’t be a bad thing!
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Snoop67 wrote:Great news regarding the appointment of Mr Blount. Why are you still so interested in what’s happening at Newstead bluesea? Thought your daughter had left.
Snoop67. Left, yes. I have friends with younger DDs still there though. They don't want to post but would like info and to know what's said. My interest was starting to wane until one of your school governors started posting here anonymously, insisting they were just a former parent. We had an engaging exchange until I confessed I knew them. All very interesting, what were they trying to achieve? Some positive spin perhaps? Why would they need to do that?
But your inference is correct Snoop, I really should concentrate on the day job!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now