Newstead

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Newstead

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:A tutor proof exam is the holy grail which no-one has managed to find yet.
I have it.

No exam at all. :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
scary mum wrote:A tutor proof exam is the holy grail which no-one has managed to find yet.
I have it.

No exam at all. :D
Well, yes, I didn't mean that the holy grail was a desirable thing :lol: :lol:
scary mum
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

In our dreams - no entrance exams and a good education for all of our children wherever they live!
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

bluesea wrote: The DofE have already told the school to join a MAT, the school said themselves it would help the financial issues. .
That's actually not correct. It was Newstead's decision to join a MAT. Yes, it will help with finances but it should be remembered that Newstead, unlike many others, still set a balanced budget.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Yes it was balanced but according to their gov mins on the website for 13 July 2016 it "took quite a significant amount of the reserves". Spending on staff was 90%.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Short tes article on school reserves from Nov 2017.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... l-business" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This despite the government telling us they have added a total of £2.6 billion extra to school funding since July.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

bluesea wrote:Yes it was balanced but according to their gov mins on the website for 13 July 2016 it "took quite a significant amount of the reserves". Spending on staff was 90%.
I think that is of concern but that's down to school funding. When many schools are setting a deficit budget, to end the year not in deficit is good. Yes, staffing costs are high but that's because they have experienced staff. The only way to reduce this would be to make people redundant and then hire cheaper staff. I suspect this won't be popular with parents and won't be good for the staff morale.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Why were staffing costs allowed to get to 90% though? How do you run the rest of the school on the last 10%?
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

The only way to reduce this would be to make people redundant and then hire cheaper staff.
That would be illegal.

They could make people redundant though by cutting some subjects and/or introducing different ones which the redundant teachers were not qualified to teach.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

thickasabrick wrote:
The only way to reduce this would be to make people redundant and then hire cheaper staff.
That would be illegal.

They could make people redundant though by cutting some subjects and/or introducing different ones which the redundant teachers were not qualified to teach.
Sorry, that's what I meant. Cut the most "expensive" courses and make people redundant. Also, hire cheaper staff when the "expensive" ones retire. Fact of the matter is that Newstead isn't alone in this situation. Was reading TES today where one of the bigger chains has schools with a sizeable deficit :(