Newstead

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bluesea

Newstead

Post by bluesea »

I'm guessing but could these A levels numbers, taken from the school website, be the reason they are not in the Sunday Times Parent Power league tables?

2017, 298 A level subjects taken by ? (number not shown)
2016, 368 A level subjects taken by 119 candidates
2015, 426 ....................... taken by 139 candidates
2014, 464 ....................... taken by 154 candidates
2013, 537 ....................... taken by 177 candidates

The Dept of Educ website currently shows 127 pupils aged 16 - 18. Anyone know if this is all pupils in lower plus upper sixth, or just upper sixth?
PettswoodFiona

Re: Newstead

Post by PettswoodFiona »

It may be a reason they elected not to be included in the tables as they would be further down than last year when they were number 24. Until recently quality at A Level hasn't suffered with reduced numbers but there has to be a tipping point and maybe that has been reached. More info on this thread here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 51&t=53081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . They do seem to be doing very well for GCSE but struggling a bit with A Level at the moment, St O's having expanded their sixth form probably only one tiny part of the picture. I just wish they would communicate it more clearly and say what they are doing about it rather just not say anything and then allow speculation to become rife.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Yes, they do seem to think that by staying silent they are not highlighting their problems. But all this is public information so a better strategy is needed. I'm not so sure about the quality either - in 2016 they had 85% A*-B at A level, in 2017 it was 73%, so a considerable drop. They would have had a much lower position in Parent Power if they had been included. It shows they fail to keep high fliers from the year 11 cohort. You are right PWF, St O's have been increasing the size of their sixth form - they say over 50% of their 450 sixth formers come from outside. They have always targeted NW girls as they are so bright. Maybe UL will do away with the NW sixth form?
zcacmxi

Post by zcacmxi »

I too have been researching over the past year, and comparing NW with other selective schools. The omission from The Times Parent Power League is just the latest to add to a list of shortcomings. The headline figures used in newspapers are the least of concern when the full data is looked at more closely.

Ignoring the shining historical reputation and looking at the latest Department for Education figures reveals the unexpected. Whilst most statistics are in line with comparable schools, the shocking levels of persistent absence together with the rumours on pastoral care ring major alarm bells. The significantly lower % sitting science especially in the context of being the most academic school, the watershed at A-Level, the "temporary" headmaster and the financial situation all paint a picture far from "Outstanding".

Without official explanation or plausible reason, one can only speculate and give the benefit of the doubt up to a point. But taking everything together and married with comments from parents both past and present has lead me to conclude that the star of NW has faded in recent times.

It is a "Super" school only in method of selection, but in other areas it is now surpassed and sadly lagging other schools. The Pupils & Parents are the elements that are worthy of "Outstanding". I imagine their success is mostly of their own making, and is of course well deserved. Like others, I do now hope that the tie up with UL is a turning point, and any rumoured/actual/other shortcomings are addressed promptly.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

It is a "Super" school only in method of selection
Then again, 'super selective' as I understand means the school selects by score only - since NW actually has a geographical restriction of 9m they should not really call themselves that either.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Thickasabrick - that is a very good point. St Olave's are superselective. You can live anywhere and take their exam. Boys have been known to fly in from abroad to take it. So NW is only superselective within a 9 mile radius.

The Parent Power omission bugs me. Are we to understand that the multi-academy trust NW belongs to, United Learning, have specifically told them not to appear in Parent Power? I appreciate MATs can work within only the laws covering academies, but does this mean that any such MAT that has schools with issues or are failing can just remove them from such league tables? This would be opposite to what the present government say they want. The present government who love league tables, want all schools in MATs and say they want transparency.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All schools are in the DfE performance tables - it is optional to be in newspapers.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Thanks Guest55. I never knew that. Bit odd to opt out after previously chasing a high league placing though.

Looks like we'll just have to wait for the DoE tables in January then. "They can run, but they can't hide."

This may be of interest, from gov.uk website this week:

4 December 2017: Media pre-release access to school performance tables

In recent years the Department for Education has granted 24-hour pre-release access (PRA), for key stage 2, key stage 4 and 16 to 18 school performance tables statistics, to media organisations. This privileged early access was granted on the basis that, the public interest in media organisations having an extending period of time to absorb the data and prepare their reporting, outweighed the potential loss of trust in the statistics that granting early access can lead to.

Over the last year there have been a number of changes to PRA arrangements. The Office for National Statistics stopped all 24-hour external PRA to its statistics, and the Bank of England has done the same.

Having reconsidered the public interest argument, the department will not be granting pre-release access to school performance tables to media organisations when these statistics are published in December (primary) and January (secondary and 16 to 18).

We will work closely with media organisations to ensure they understand the form the statistics will take, and ensure staff are available to answer questions on the day of publication.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

bluesea wrote:Thanks Guest55. I never knew that. Bit odd to opt out after previously chasing a high league placing though.
Looks like we'll just have to wait for the DoE tables in January then. "They can run, but they can't hide."
The provisional KS4 data for 2017 is there already. I think many schools have opted out of the newspapers as they are all different and it's only ever provisional data anyway until this time of year.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

I had emailed the school and received the following reply. Their results would be available in the DfE tables.

Thank you for your email.

The Sunday Times Parent Power League Table is an ‘opt in’ league table. This year we did not opt in to be part of this league table. Some schools do not choose to be part of this league table and this year we did the same.

Our results are published on our website and in the standard DfE tables that are released each year.

I have heard from several parents on this matter and we will, of course, consider all of the feedback before we make a decision on whether or not to be part of this league table next year.

With best wishes,

Alan

Alan Blount
Deputy Headteacher | Newstead Wood School
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now