Newstead - 2018 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bluesea

Re: Newstead - 2018 entry

Post by bluesea »

If your DD was close to the cut off and remains on the waiting list right through the summer holidays do call the school in September and keep her name on the waiting list as places have come up during the school year and in subsequent school years. There is more movement in grammar schools than parents would expect, for many different reasons. A short phone call or email is enough to keep your options open.
FlowerPink18

Post by FlowerPink18 »

Looks like NW is offering places as they come up. 2 more places have been offered.
lpr2018

Post by lpr2018 »

Hi,
How did you know, do you know any received the letter from school?
Please let us know.
Thank you very much.
LR
FlowerPink18

Post by FlowerPink18 »

Called school today. They told DD's current rank in wl. It is 2 less than when we called last week.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Depending where you are on the list that move up the waitlist could be due to Parents confirming they want to come off the waitlist (Independent school, got a higher preference etc), they want to stick with their allocated school or they got a place at a higher preference school so it may not mean that places 14 and 15 have been offered. But equally it could mean waiting list 21 and 25 (random numbers picked for examples only) gave up their waiting list place so place numbers 22 and below now move up.
lpr2018

Post by lpr2018 »

Dear All,

We have received the offer letter today.

Thank you very much to All and especially Fiona.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Yay! I am so pleased for you and your DD.

Any new starters that have questions do just ask but some things boil down to personal preference. For example DD likes having a valuables bag (but not the rather utilitarian Canvas one sold at the uniform shop) - other girls just cram their blazer pockets.

Some girls love the Lycra PE shorts under their kilts so DD has a number of these, others like the straight skirt.

If they haven’t already gots WhatsApp consider letting them have access even if under supervision as the girls often set up a group on the orientation day and then keep in touch over summer.

There will probably also be a Spruce up Saturday between now and when your daughter starts - it can be a great opportunity to become part of the school community as well as see the school again.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Someone private messsged me from this thread a few days ago and I replied but I see it is still in my outbox which means it has not been read yet - you need to check your messages area in the top left of this site, the message area will only be an option if you are logged in.

While I am here, good evening. Any more movement from those on the waitlist??
FlowerPink18

Post by FlowerPink18 »

My DD moved up one more place after Kent second round. Looks like waiting lists are moving really slow.
FlowerPink18

Post by FlowerPink18 »

Hi
Does anyone know what is the procedure to release a place when children are offered a higher preference school? Is it done through council or do the parents contact the school and release any previously accepted place. We were expecting some movement in waiting list since kent 2nd round offers but it doesn't seem happening. Does it mean there were not many offers or people who were offered are not releasing places?
Many Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now