Townley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lysianassa

Re: Townley

Post by Lysianassa »

salsa wrote:With regards to appealing for the Bexley grammars, the Bexley booklet has been showing, in the past 5 years, that there is almost no success. The other thing is that they don’t have a second round, as Kent, so, after a couple of weeks, the schools get the responses and organise their waiting lists. According to the leaflet, there is a deadline to accept school offers.
The deadline that I’m aware of is the 15th for initial offers. After that, there starts to be movement on the waiting lists. DD doesn’t want to appeal Townley as she got her 3rd choice. There is a great info section on appeals here is you choose appeals from the menu bar above though with some very helpful info.

I suppose that Bexley is like Lewisham then. There isn’t a coordinated second round, but after the 15th there is a period of new waiting list offers.

I’ll just wait to hear back from Townley about waiting list length and our chances.
Seendy1

Post by Seendy1 »

Thank you Salsa for the info. If my DD has passed but did not get a place at Townley due to distance - should I appeal or just put her on the waiting list? What is the difference in the 2 process?! Sorry for the stupidity of the question
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Appealing and going on a waiting list are two separate processes. You can do both. One does not prejudice the other.
salsa

Post by salsa »

That’s correct. However, the chances of winning an appeal in Bexley seem very slim. Unlike appeals in Kent, for example. You can prepare your appeal and go through the motions, but I’m hoping that you get a place at Townley off the waiting list.
Go over to the Appeals section of this forum and start seeing what is involved. I don’t want to discourage you as I did appeal to two Bexley schools, but got a place for my son at DGS before the appeal hearing dates, so I withdrew them.
I do know other friends who were also offered a Bexley grammar before their appeal date.

Salsa
isoflome

Post by isoflome »

We live about 8 miles from Townley. A few years back we had to wait until June to get an offer from them.
We do not live in the borough of Bexley, so I ensured that I had advised my borough, Bexley and the school that we wanted to be on their waiting list. I was under the impression (for Bromley at any rate) that they only automatically waitlist your higher preferences within your own borough. I found emailing the admissions lady at Townley was more successful than trying to get through by phone. Our offer came direct from the school (by phone) and was followed up by a form in the post.
So hold tight and make sure you are on all the lists. It's a long wait but I'm sure Townley offers will go out further over the coming months. Good luck :D
salsa

Post by salsa »

Yes, I agree.
Going on the waiting list depends on the borough or county. For some, you can only go on a waiting list for higher preference schools and only if requested. For others, such as Kent, you could go on a lower preference school’s waiting list or a completely new school’s. When you live outside of the borough or county, your local authority’s rules may not apply.
So, it’s good to let all the parties know.

Salsa
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

salsa wrote:Yes, I agree.
Going on the waiting list depends on the borough or county. For some, you can only go on a waiting list for higher preference schools and only if requested. For others, such as Kent, you could go on a lower preference school’s waiting list or a completely new school’s. When you live outside of the borough or county, your local authority’s rules may not apply.
So, it’s good to let all the parties know.

Salsa
Yes, thanks for the advice on the other thread about waiting lists. Bexley has come back to confirm they've added my son to the waiting list (but don't say whether that was because he was automatically added before I emailed or whether as a result of the email); Kent say to be certain of being added I should fill in and return the waiting list form in the same way that Kent residents do.
salsa

Post by salsa »

You’re welcome. By the way, I know 2 people who sent their forms on time to Kent and who were not added to the second round as KCC claimed that the form was not received on time. I would send it recorded delivery. My friends didn’t make a fuss as the scores were still low for the second round, but if you are close, I would send it “to sign for” or similar.

Salsa
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

salsa wrote:You’re welcome. By the way, I know 2 people who sent their forms on time to Kent and who were not added to the second round as KCC claimed that the form was not received on time. I would send it recorded delivery. My friends didn’t make a fuss as the scores were still low for the second round, but if you are close, I would send it “to sign for” or similar.

Salsa
Good idea, or they say enclose a stamped addressed envelope if you want it acknowledged. I will probably just scan the form and email it to them, as that's given as an alternative to posting it.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Oh, scanning, that’s a new one. I would do that.

Salsa