Townley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
watbogs

Re: Townley

Post by watbogs »

We put Townley first and didn't get it - I'm wondering what the procedure is now for Bexley schools?

I didn't anticipate this - when we looked at the school the girl showing us around lived 9 miles away - I was told the catchment was 7 to 8 miles in previous years. We're just over 7 miles by road, but dead on 5 miles as the crow flies. Anyone know for sure how they measure?
Do we accept the place we got at another Bex grammar and contact Townley to find out where we are on the waiting list? Do I need to do anything formally, or just sit and wait?
Happy hamster

Post by Happy hamster »

DadDee wrote:If it helps anyone, my DD has been offered a place at Townley, but we are going independent. So there is at least one free place in the next round.
That's very kind of you to mention it! Well done to your daughter and thanks for helping us out!

If you're not 180, do you happen to know what distance you are (walking distance not straight line)?

Thanks again .
salsa

Post by salsa »

watbogs wrote:We put Townley first and didn't get it - I'm wondering what the procedure is now for Bexley schools?

I didn't anticipate this - when we looked at the school the girl showing us around lived 9 miles away - I was told the catchment was 7 to 8 miles in previous years. We're just over 7 miles by road, but dead on 5 miles as the crow flies. Anyone know for sure how they measure?
Do we accept the place we got at another Bex grammar and contact Townley to find out where we are on the waiting list? Do I need to do anything formally, or just sit and wait?
Contact the school and Bexley council making sure that you are on the waiting list. It has happened in previous years that people did not get added to the waiting list. Make sure you get emails to confirm you are on the waiting list.

Salsa
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Nachan wrote:We didn’t get Townley (1st choice) and are 6.6 miles away- thought this might be the case for first round of offers. Does anyone know when next round of offers happens? My DD didn’t get offered any of the schools on her list despite being within 2017-published catchments for all of them! We are all devastated here.
That's really tough - you didn't get any of the schools on your form at all, grammar or non-grammar? Wishing you luck in the April allocation round.
watbogs

Post by watbogs »

salsa wrote:
watbogs wrote:We put Townley first and didn't get it - I'm wondering what the procedure is now for Bexley schools?

Contact the school and Bexley council making sure that you are on the waiting list. It has happened in previous years that people did not get added to the waiting list. Make sure you get emails to confirm you are on the waiting list.

Salsa
Thanks Salsa - I didn't know about that! Shocking, really. I called the school today and left a voicemail. Don't know if they're just inundated or perhaps no one is in due to snow?
Nachan

Post by Nachan »

Sorrel wrote: That's really tough - you didn't get any of the schools on your form at all, grammar or non-grammar? Wishing you luck in the April allocation round.

That's right. We put down 4 comprehensives that we were in catchment of according to 2017 info but didn't get offers for any of them. We have been offered a school that we would not really consider for our DD. Just hoping that we have better luck with Townley waiting list. We're feeling really unlucky to be honest so not too confident
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Nachan wrote:
Sorrel wrote: That's really tough - you didn't get any of the schools on your form at all, grammar or non-grammar? Wishing you luck in the April allocation round.

That's right. We put down 4 comprehensives that we were in catchment of according to 2017 info but didn't get offers for any of them. We have been offered a school that we would not really consider for our DD. Just hoping that we have better luck with Townley waiting list. We're feeling really unlucky to be honest so not too confident
That's rotten, but sounds like you will have a great chance of a better offer in April. Hope your daughter's not too cast down until then.
Lysianassa

Post by Lysianassa »

Just wondering about the appeals process. The deadline for appeals is March 29, but there usually isn’t much movement on the waiting list, (from what I heard) until April. We live 6.5-6.6 (depending on the tool you use) walking route from Townley and 4.66 from a Chis and Sid. It just seems like so much work to go through knowing that we’ll most likely be rejected because it’s based on oversubscription. DD scored 243...so close to the 180 cutoff.
Any idea where to look for information on whether appeals have been successful?
hedgeh0g

Post by hedgeh0g »

We had Townley as our first choice but didn't get in (got C&S, 2nd choice). We live 6.3 miles walking / 7.2 miles driving according to Google.
Nachan

Post by Nachan »

hedgeh0g wrote:We had Townley as our first choice but didn't get in (got C&S, 2nd choice). We live 6.3 miles walking / 7.2 miles driving according to Google.
Can I ask how far from C&S you are? Just want to get an idea of potential waiting list. Thanks