Townley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Seendy1

Re: Townley

Post by Seendy1 »

So very true. Had there been a Grammar within our borough, we would now have had to go through that much disappointment.

Townley had always been able - as per the Bexley Booklet- to take all selective. Except for 1 year when it went out to 8.1 miles - which is way beyond our area.

The headteacher at Townley said they were certainly not prepared for that much interest & demand. Similarly most parents from our primary whose daughters did the Bexley test and passed - we just based ourselves on past years and we were almost certain all the girls were going to get a place there- hence I believe the disappointment.

Oh well... I am sure the girls will do well wherever they go - it's Just been a draining process.

zcacmxi wrote:Hi Seendy1,

My understanding is that once a child is deemed selective, then the oversubscription criteria must be applied as there are more applicants than the places available. Offers went out to 5+ miles, which is still significant in terms of a childs daily commute to school.

Even if it is were possible for Bexley/Kent schools to expand and cater for larger catchments, it is still at the cost of longer daily commutes in traffic for the children, which is far from ideal.

As well as appealing to Bexley which I wish you good luck with, please also make your voice heard in your own borough of the desire for Grammar schools. Maybe write to your MP? Are they aware there is local demand?

If neighbouring boroughs like Lewisham, Greenwich etc could also satisfy their local demand, I feel every child wins. The children in distant boroughs in terms of shorter commutes, and the children nearer the schools in terms of reduced demand / wait lists.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi Sendy1,
Dartford girls is a great school. I’m sure your daughter will do very well there. I know she won’t be with her friends, but hopefully she will soon make new ones.

Salsa
tand

Post by tand »

any movement to townley waiting list? i tried to reach school but unable get hold of them
xnataliax

Post by xnataliax »

tand wrote:any movement to townley waiting list? i tried to reach school but unable get hold of them
No movement I’m afraid. My DD has moved a total of 10 spaces up the list since national offer day in March. SLOW is not the word.....
Lysianassa

Post by Lysianassa »

xnataliax wrote: No movement I’m afraid. My DD has moved a total of 10 spaces up the list since national offer day in March. SLOW is not the word.....
That’s odd. DD’s initial place on the waiting list was 33 and I just got an email today saying it is now 28. Not just slow...backwards?

Ah well. Best of luck to all.
xnataliax

Post by xnataliax »

Lysianassa wrote:
xnataliax wrote: No movement I’m afraid. My DD has moved a total of 10 spaces up the list since national offer day in March. SLOW is not the word.....
That’s odd. DD’s initial place on the waiting list was 33 and I just got an email today saying it is now 28. Not just slow...backwards?

Hi Lysianassa, yes this is from the 03 April according to my email from Bexley Admissions. What date was your DD placed at 33? Best of luck to you.
Lysianassa

Post by Lysianassa »

xnataliax wrote:
Lysianassa wrote:

Hi Lysianassa, yes this is from the 03 April according to my email from Bexley Admissions. What date was your DD placed at 33? Best of luck to you.
The email that said dd’s place was 33 was sent on the 18th of April when I asked for confirmation from Townley since the council told me that the schools manage their own lists. It was the same email where they confirmed that offers went up to 5.9 miles.
I sent an email around the 10th of July to ask about movement, but I got an automatic reply that the admissions officer (Mrs Bradshaw) was out of the office until the 20th.
She sent an email on the 23rd of July to say dd is 28th now.

Unless there was already a bit of movement between the 3rd and the 18th of April, it just seems odd as we only live 6.5 miles away.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The email that said dd’s place was 33 was sent on the 18th of April when I asked for confirmation from Townley since the council told me that the schools manage their own lists. It was the same email where they confirmed that offers went up to 5.9 miles.
I sent an email around the 10th of July to ask about movement, but I got an automatic reply that the admissions officer (Mrs Bradshaw) was out of the office until the 20th.
She sent an email on the 23rd of July to say dd is 28th now.

Unless there was already a bit of movement between the 3rd and the 18th of April, it just seems odd as we only live 6.5 miles away.
I think the lack of movement has been the same with many schools this year but I know some who were not previously on the Townley list as they were on a waiting list further down and they didn’t pop into the Townley list until they shuffled up to their next highest preference and depending where they live if closer they might leapfrog your DD. Half a mile difference actually covers a large area when you think of the circumference. Good luck.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

I think the lack of movement has been the same with many schools this year but I know some who were not previously on the Townley list as they were on a waiting list further down and they didn’t pop into the Townley list until they shuffled up to their next highest preference and depending where they live if closer they might leapfrog your DD. Half a mile difference actually covers a large area when you think of the circumference. Good luck.
I don't quite understand what you mean.

I know Kent allows applicants to change their preferences after offer day, I didn't think Bexley did - so you are either on the waiting list or you are not? As far as I know the only exceptions could be getting on through an appeal or if your circumstances change, i.e. you suddenly qualify for pupil premium etc and are now given priority.
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

Hi all - I think the situation here is that you can be on as many waiting lists as you like in Bexley - not just your first preference.

Initially people join a list just for their 1st preference....but as the long Summer wears on and places are not apparent in Bexley &/or Kent people join multiple lists. This means they can 'leapfrog' other people on the waiting list (who have been on the list since the beginning) if they live closer - even by a tiny percentage of a mile.

I hope this explanation helps explain your very small climb up the waiting list. There is also a small shuffle due to winning Appeals (2 this year at Townley I think?) and people moving into the area affects the waiting list.

If I was you I would still call the school to double check your position. And the distance of number 1 person on the waiting list - if they will tell you.
Marty