NewsteadWood induction day query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sb79

NewsteadWood induction day query

Post by sb79 »

Hello there - I am wondering If any of the parents of existing or recent y7 students can opine on this. My DD got a place at NW and school are organising induction day on 28th June for new students. I understand it’s from 9am to 3pm. Unfortunately, my DD’s existing school are going on a theatre trip on the same day which she doesn’t want to miss as that’s the last school trip with Y6 friends. Can any other parents give us some idea of what’s covered on induction day? Would she miss much if she attended only from 9-12am (and then went to school trip in the afternoon?) if there’s an option to attend half day only?

Thanks
PettswoodFiona

Re: NewsteadWood induction day query

Post by PettswoodFiona »

It isn’t so much about what is covered, it is who you get to meet. The girls exchange numbers and chat (usually via WhatsApp) over the summer. DD met up with a few girls she chatted with on induction day over the summer holiday as a result. They have also had a buddy system where the new Y7 get a buddy from the current Y7 and those buddies help them settle in.

They do have a day at the start of term which is just for Y7 and Y12 but by then some friendships have been made over the summer that would be a shame to miss out on. In DD’s class there were practically all the girls except one at the induction day and the one missing turned out not to want the place but hadn’t informed the school. The girl who hadn’t been on the induction day didn’t have any problems making friends or settling in.
sb79

Post by sb79 »

Ok understood, thank you very much for the guidance. I shall try again having this conversation with her.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

FP is right....very few miss the induction day as it gives so much to the individuals. Not only do they get a proper understanding of where the rooms, toilets, canteen etc are like, but they meet the people they will be spending the next 5-7 years with....and, in the main, most move on totally from their primary school friends, despite at this time thinking they are going to be friends for life! DS2 is still best friends with one boy he met on the induction day - they met up in the summer holidays before they started at school etc....
salsa

Post by salsa »

We had the same dilemma with our son. We talked about it and decided to miss the play and take him to see it later. However, the other 2 children from his class got permission to leave the induction day after lunch and my son somehow got included. We talked about it again and he agreed. I think it was a good compromise.

Salsa
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Looking at the website, the school asks parents please to give them a call if their DD isn't going to be able to attend, so I would approach them with optimism about leaving at the end of the morning order to go on the year 6 trip.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx