Job as Head of St Olaves advertised

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
grgygirl

Re: Job as Head of St Olaves advertised

Post by grgygirl »

Do you think the salary is high enough to attract a good candidate. Thought I read somewhere that Onac was on £180,000.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I would question if a higher salary is going to mean you’d necessarily get a better Headteacher, it might widen the pool of interest but some may only be interested in the money rather than the role. I appreciate most of us wouldn’t move jobs for a lesser salary but then bonkers money sometimes attracts bonkers people, not a scientific basis for that but purely in my experience of high salaried (compared to their peers) roles I’ve come across.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

New headteacher now announced. Mr Andrew Rees, the old Deputy head.
silversixpence

Post by silversixpence »

I'm interested to know what others made of the Headmaster's talk at St Olave's today?
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Public speaking doesn't appear to be Mr Rees's forte. Seemed nervous but did get better as he went on. I have to admit that Onac was a good orator. Pleased that the emphasis has now moved away from the academic to the pastoral. Only a little bit of boasting about the Oxbridge/medicine stats! Seemed busy today.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Might he be nervous as he was only told he had the job six days before needing to make his headmaster speech?
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

He actually said he was nervous during the 9.30 am speech, then warmed up a bit. Was he Head of Pastoral Care two years ago? I remember a strikingly nervous speech from whoever that was (but there had just been an online petition with lots of pupils saying how awful Olave's was). But public speaking isn't everyone's thing, and I hear good accounts of how the school has settled down since he took over? Nice to see the Oxbridge/ medicine stuff pared down, and it being presented as a good thing to go to any Russell Group university or indeed study an arts subject! And some coded references to the need for everyone to be able to have trust in senior decisions.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Yes, it was him Sorrel. Hopefully he'll be able to work on his public speaking as I think he'll make a good, solid head. Encouraging results for arts and architecture uni courses this year too. Think Stogs is entering a new chapter!
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

grgygirl wrote:Yes, it was him Sorrel. Hopefully he'll be able to work on his public speaking as I think he'll make a good, solid head. Encouraging results for arts and architecture uni courses this year too. Think Stogs is entering a new chapter!
Good to know, thanks. Son #2 is v keen to go to Olave's (#1 didn't get through SET1 but is off to Skinners and very happy with that).