Townley - BBC2 Documentary

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Muggle

Townley - BBC2 Documentary

Post by Muggle »

For anyone that’s interested, Townley will be one of the Bexley schools (along with Erith and a primary school) featured in a three part documentary about the impact of selective education, starting on 29th May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest ... irs-spring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Muggle

Re: Townley - BBC2 Documentary

Post by Muggle »

The programme blurb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b57yst" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be an interesting watch for anyone preparing for (or who has ever prepared for) the 11+ test.
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Thanks.

I saw a trailer, looks very interesting.
Blitz

BBC2 Documentary

Post by Blitz »

A reminder, this BBC documentary about Grammar School entry is on tonight: BBC 2 at 9 0'clock.
Jenbob

Post by Jenbob »

Whilst I enjoyed this programme as a Bexley mum whose son sat the exam this year and primary teacher, I felt at one point this programme was misleading. It showed the four Uplands Primary children focussing on gaining entry into one of the four Bexley grammar schools by preparing for this test and Erith School a a potential choice for non selective. However, on the day of the test, it showed these 4 pupils along with many others entering Leigh City, a school in Dartford. Uplands Primary being a Bexley borough school, the children would've sat it in their own primary on a Wednesday morning. I straight away thought, they are filming these children entering the Kent 11+, completely different test format (GL) for completely different schools! This was only confirmed when one of the candidates they were focussing on mentioned he thought he'd done ok on the writing paper, again not Bexley CEM but part of the Kent exam. Hmmmm!
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

I think that was just editing to make better TV for the viewers, it would have looked entirely normal for anyone not aware of the local area. The children had discussed earlier about sitting both the Kent and Bexley tests.
zcacmxi

Post by zcacmxi »

Jenbob wrote: Uplands Primary being a Bexley borough school, the children would've sat it in their own primary on a Wednesday morning. I straight away thought, they are filming these children entering the Kent 11+, completely different test format (GL) for completely different schools! This was only confirmed when one of the candidates they were focussing on mentioned he thought he'd done ok on the writing paper, again not Bexley CEM but part of the Kent exam. Hmmmm!
Very good point, the episode made it look like there is a single test and those not performing on that single day would go to a non-selective school. However, potentially the same children could have been deemed selective in the Kent test and be going to Wilmington, Dartford, etc..
It is my understanding that there is quite a bit of overlap in DC doing Bexley, Kent & Bromley tests.. Most children in my DD's year sat at least 2, if not all 3.
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

I wondered about the writing but too. DSs only did Bexley and I was sure there was no writing in them.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

I'm glad kids don't need a tutor, they just "need practice".

Not sure what the HT thinks tutors do exactly.

Whether you do it at home or pay someone to do it for you (the majority will be doing both in any case) - it's the same thing in principle!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now