Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:13 pm 

This year the NWPA is organising a Pilot test that will be a single session on the afternoon of Saturday 14th July 2018 at Newstead Wood School. The only way to book a place will be on the PA website. The booking facility will be available from Wednesday 27th June, possibly earlier. This familiarisation test will replicate the actual Newstead Wood School Entrance Exams being held in the Autumn. The Familiarisation Test at Newstead Wood School is being organised and run exclusively by the Newstead Wood Parents’ Association (the NWPA). Therefore, please direct any queries to the NWPA. Please do NOT contact the School.

The Familiarisation Test is designed for children in Year 5 who will be sitting secondary school selection tests in the following school year. It is open to all Year 5 children, boys and girls, but is most suitable for girls in Year 5 that are intending to apply for Newstead Wood School. The price of a place at the Familiarisation Test is £65 with some places free for those on limited means. The test is tailored for the Newstead Wood School selection test and the rather unique way it breaks up the test into blocks of timing. Results will be given in the form of a total raw score for each paper, which will enable you to see how your child performed relative to other children sitting the Familiarisation Tests. The feedback will also include scores for each section of the two test papers to help you understand the potential gaps in the candidates knowledge of individual topics.

As this is a pilot session there will be a limited number of places, if there is high demand the PA will keep a waiting list and will consider opening an alternative session.

Parents at the school will have received an email about the planned Pilot, if you still haven't responded and can assist on the day do get in touch, if you didn't see the email let me know and I can put you in touch with the organisers who will be welcome of assistance.

Any queries regarding the Familiarisation Test should be directed to the contact details on the NWPA website.

I am just the messenger and not on the NWPA but I offered to advertise this for them. Therefore please do not ask me questions as I won't have the answers, however if you have feedback or have difficulty accessing the site please do let me know and I can feed this back. I know some schools may have broken up so feedback on the date etc will be very welcome. The Pilot had to work with availability the school had for the rooms and the availability of volunteers.

I have been asked to emphasize that this is a Pilot and as such there may be bedding down issues that the PA are hoping to learn from.

Far more details about timings, contact details, fee waiver, SEN and a page that will go live when the booking is available is at: http://www.newsteadwoodpa.org.uk/index.php

Thank you to the moderators who gave me permission to advertise this test (as it is a PA run test to raise funds for the school).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:35 am 

Update: booking should be opening early tomorrow morning, Thursday 28th June

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:27 pm 

£65 ! That's £5 more than St Olave's mock test.

Newstead pta say:

9. Cancellations and late arrivals

If you would like to cancel your booked place, please email the NWPA no later than 48 hours before the test session. The NWPA will retain a £25 administration charge. This charge will be £50 for cancellations within the last 48 hours, and there will be no refund for candidates that fail to attend or are not on time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:03 am 

Booking web site is now live, still 60 places are available as at 7am 28th jul.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:55 am 

26 places left as of 7.52 am, seems they are going fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:47 am 

How many places were there in total?

They will all be gone by lunchtime. DG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:28 am 

Daogroupie wrote:
How many places were there in total?

They will all be gone by lunchtime. DG

To children from which side of the river, I wonder? Since the Sutton mocks seem to be so useful for DAO / HBS / QE/ Watford etc, presumably this one is, too?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:29 pm 

I don't know how many they had to start with but they have sold out, I see there is now the option to sign up for a waiting list place in case anyone drops out, also as they look to put on another time most likely on the same day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:42 pm 

Huge thanks to those who have booked and thereby also raised funds for the school. I am confident it will be a helpful experience for your DC, I wish I’d had this option for my DD. Do leave feedback after the Pilot and again when you get the results.

Huge thanks to the volunteers who are giving up their time to support the tests.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:40 am 

Hi there,
I am still waiting to get a place on the mock, am on the waiting list- is anyone else?
Have emailed the PA and they are considering a second session but haven't heard much else yet.