News from Council re 2008 testing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Charlotte67

GL Publishing, like a lot of publishing companies operates, or has operated under different names. They published GO papers and the Letts papers.

NFER is a charitable organisation that collates information for education research.

NFER and GL Publishing, under their Nelson banner, had a mutual agreement allowing a profit making and a non-profit making organisation to co-exist. Hence the reason why GL Publishing have always claimed that their tests were closest to the Real 11+ tests because of the link with NFER.

The agreement ended in December of last year.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I have had a look at these questions and they are so easy. I don't think that they truly reflect the content of the NFER papers. The 'look' of the papers is also wrong.
Personally I think that parents will be given the impression that their children will be able to pass the 11+ based on this. The real tests, in my opinion, are much harder.
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Tracy wrote: The real tests, in my opinion, are much harder.
These sample questions are probably like the old familiarisation papers Bexley used to give to the schools. They were meant to give the children a feel for the layout of the paper,style of question etc, but weren't as hard as the 'real' test.

It will be interesting to see in September if they are that much different from previous year's maths and VR papers.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

The old familiarisation tests were definitely much easier than the real thing too. But of course, they were administered by the school and parents didn't see them so they weren't given a false impression about their children's abilities.

I think that, as the children most in need of the familiarisation tests will be those who have not been prepared, it is reasonable that they are easier than the real thing. It gives unprepared children an idea of the format and style of the test without unnerving them. But I do think that the Council ought to make it clear to parents and children alike, that the familiarisation tests are a gentle introduction and much easier than the real thing.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Parents who have not been through the system before might feel misled when 'little Johnny' can do all of the 'familiarisation' tests but doesn't do too well at the real thing. I think there are going to be a lot of shocks when the results come out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now