Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: St Olaves Test 2018
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 pm 

Hi All,

I was wondering what is the St Olaves test like. Is there a format to it like CEM or GL? Asking as my son found the maths hard whereas he normally does well in Kent GL style papers.

All help and guidance will appreciated especially as the actual test is next week.

Post subject: Re: St Olaves Test 2018
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:09 pm 

I'm not from your area & I'm not sure what you mean when you say he found the maths hard if he hasn't sat the exam yet, but do the links in this section help?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ey-11-plus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:48 pm 

ScaryMum I think Aisha is saying her son has sat the Kent test and found the Maths hard and now wondering about the Olaves maths, or that is how I read it.

DD sat Kent a few years ago, some of her friends who were boys sat both Kent and Olaves and said the Olaves maths included content they’d only learnt from tutors and not at school and Kent was easy in comparison but more time pressured (subsequent years they’ve reduced the number of questions).

I am sure it can vary year from year so no one will know yet how the Kent maths this year will compare with the Olaves maths this year. From what I’ve heard of past tests the maths makes Olaves the one test in our region that is hardest to do without the support of either a maths teaching parent or a tutor, fortunately we have a DD so didn’t have the Olaves maths to contend with and also to emphasise I am only going on what other parents or friends of DD have told me rather than a closer experience.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:54 pm 

We have been doing CEM style questions and there are a couple of mock papers on the St Olaves website which give an idea of the format.