St Olaves and dyslexia

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loaf33

St Olaves and dyslexia

Post by loaf33 »

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience of St Olaves and how they deal with dyslexia for both the admissions test and then actually at the school?

What is required to be allowed extra time for the test and then what provision for dyslexic boys is there at the school?

My son is currently undergoing assessment for dyslexia on the back of a few mild concerns. So far his progress hasn't been impeded but his spelling isn't great and his reading fluency is a bit slow and muddled sometimes. He is in year 5. I may be jumping the gun somewhat as he may not even be dyslexic but thought I would ask the questions! And knowing what is required for these schools (my daughter is at Newstead) I wouldnt want to put him through it all if I didn't think he would cope or would get left behind.

Thanks in advance
Crescent26

Re: St Olaves and dyslexia

Post by Crescent26 »

Hi Loaf - have a son in y10, but no experience of dyslexia. I have found the school very approachable and helpful whenever I have contacted them, both pre and post my son starting. Have you contacted the Admissions Tutor and asked about special arrangements for the test? I am sure someone on the pastoral team will be able to answer any queries regarding dyslexia support.
Good luck!
PettswoodFiona

Re: St Olaves and dyslexia

Post by PettswoodFiona »

On the Y7 admissions page they have a link to a document specially about SEN arrangements and what is required as evidence for the 10% extra time. http://www.saintolaves.net/uploads/cked ... r_2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at the compare schools data they have 0.2% of pupils at Olaves with SEND so a very tiny proportion but not dissimilar to Newstead where they seem to deal well with those needs (DD has a friend with a physical need and they work well to accommodate her needs).

The number of people who therefore have children with a special need (there may be others with needs but not registered ones) at the school will be very very tiny (two children in fact!) but hope someone comes along with actual experience of having a child with Dyslexia at the school but it maybe as the numbers are so small they may not exist with similar needs to your DS. Probably best to context the Senco at the school for an informal chat.