St Olave's test Age Standardised?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nearly_done

St Olave's test Age Standardised?

Post by nearly_done »

Does anyone know if the St. Olave's test is age standardised and if so, how does this effect the scoring please?
Sparkle18

Re: St Olave's test Age Standardised?

Post by Sparkle18 »

No its not..
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

...but maybe it should be! :wink:
nearly_done

Post by nearly_done »

Crazy. So is there a disproportionate number of boys there who have birthdays between September and December? No hope then for my July DS!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

nearly_done wrote:Crazy. So is there a disproportionate number of boys there who have birthdays between September and December? No hope then for my July DS!
Just think for a moment - are you putting him in for the exam as a long shot, given that he never manager to do as well as or better than any of the other DC in his class / year group, except those with August birthdays? Or do you think that a grammar school would suit him because he's always at, or at least near, the top? Day to day class work isn't age standardised.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I don't know how bunched the results are for Olaves as if they are standardisation might make a difference, if they are spread then it is unlikely to make a difference. In the Kent test the standardisation is only a few marks anyway, it isn't a major shift of scores.

Statistics show in Kent that no fewer July/August borns fail the test than those of Sept/Oct but parents of July/August borns are more reluctant to put them in for the test and as a result they are under represented (or that is what some stats from a few years ago showed but I can't find them to link to right now).

Was it Essex or some other region that hadn't standardised and they've been found wanting by the adjudicators and so will need to standardise going forward?

Good luck to your DS Nearly_done
nearly_done

Post by nearly_done »

That’s really interesting information. Thanks. I put DS forward for the exam as we were told that he was in top 1% of the class (whatever that means!) and he would do well in a grammar school. I was reluctant though due to his maturity level (typical of summer born boys I am told), but decided to let him take the exam. Anyway, it’s done now so only time will tell :-) Would be interesting to know though if autumn born children cope better with the exam. I am sure that the school would not reveal that data though.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

If there is one child who comes always first in academic subjects in a class of 33 children, that child alone will be the top 3% of the class and no one else. Mathematically speaking, I don't think any child in a primary school would be considered the top 1% taking the general size of a class in England into account. :mrgreen:
GS Exams

Post by GS Exams »

Does anyone know when is St Ppaves stage1 result expected?