Beths or Chis and Sid?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ungratefulbiped

Re: Beths or Chis and Sid?

Post by Ungratefulbiped »

Maybe they meant everyone in catchment who put chis and sid first choice got in eventually?
phina1

Post by phina1 »

I know 5 kids in Year 7 at C&S and only 2 of them put it as first choice, the others chose Townley, but it didn't come out very far this year so they didn't get in.

To add to some of the other questions. There are loads of kids getting the train from Hither Green, Lee & Mottingham. They quite quickly get to know the other Year 7s that travel from their station and travel together, so no issues at all and they seem to find it quite fun.

Rugby has been mandatory this term. Training is one afternoon per week and 3 Saturday sessions (which finish this weekend). I believe after that, they will finalise the teams and hopefully start to release the boys that aren't in the team. My DS is not keen at all, but as they all have to do it, they just get on with it (and keep their fingers crossed they don't get picked for a team)!

Homework seems quite variable between the classes. My DS has had quite a few nights with no homework set and others where he has had 3 pieces and needed the full 90 minutes. But overall, it hasn't been as bad as I expected.

There are slightly more boys than girls, I think he has a couple more boys than girls in his class.
Ungratefulbiped

My son loved Beth's in unreasonable amounts. He has said he wanted a coed school but he was so impressed he said he just wanted to go there and he's not bothered. We've looked at loads of schools and he was blown away. Also heard Beth's isn't as sporty, but even the head addressed that? Their little PE demo was really cool. I impressed them with my basketball skillz. ha!

I would really like a place with the IB offered, though, as he's a dual citizen and I've got a real niggle that it would help him if he chose to live elsewhere. But they don't always stay at that school for 6th form? Is that correct?
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Ungrateful - I'm glad you enjoyed the PE demo as DS2 was part of that last night!

They don't do the IB until 6th Form. DS1 stayed into Beths 6th Form but a couple of his friends went to Dartford to do the IB (although both have said it's much friendlier at Beths!)

As I posted earlier, both my boy love Beths.
PeppermintCreams

Post by PeppermintCreams »

Bexley Grammar also does the IB. When we went yesterday, the 6th former who showed us around had moved there in year 12 specifically for the IB. He was half European.
Ungratefulbiped

PeppermintCreams wrote:Bexley Grammar also does the IB. When we went yesterday, the 6th former who showed us around had moved there in year 12 specifically for the IB. He was half European.
Aha! Beth's will have to offer it at some point. Though chis and sid don't have the full degree program for IB we were told this morning.

C and S head changes his tune about 1st place on caf as well. What he said this morning was "Not even everyone who put c&s as their first choice got it last year and we have a waiting list full through until 6th form"
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Ungratefulbiped wrote:
PeppermintCreams wrote:Bexley Grammar also does the IB. When we went yesterday, the 6th former who showed us around had moved there in year 12 specifically for the IB. He was half European.
Aha! Beth's will have to offer it at some point. Though chis and sid don't have the full degree program for IB we were told this morning.

C and S head changes his tune about 1st place on caf as well. What he said this morning was "Not even everyone who put c&s as their first choice got it last year and we have a waiting list full through until 6th form"
Probably stressing they're more in demand now than they were the year before that, when every qualified applicant got a place and they offered a few to children who'd narrowly failed the test. Don't know what happened that year. Will have a knock on effect on distance for subsequent years presumably, as some more distant than usual children will have got places, which will then mean their siblings qualify and narrow the distance radius for non sibling offers.
Ungratefulbiped

Probably stressing they're more in demand now than they were the year before that, when every qualified applicant got a place and they offered a few to children who'd narrowly failed the test. Don't know what happened that year. Will have a knock on effect on distance for subsequent years presumably, as some more distant than usual children will have got places, which will then mean their siblings qualify and narrow the distance radius for non sibling offers.
So very true but this birth year is going to have knock on effects for ages. When I delivered my son at Queens Mary's, a midwife said to
Me "last month we had more births in a single month than in the history of the hospital and this month we expect more"
I googled some census data which has prompted a lot of my hysteria about school places but it's going to be a shock for many come 1 March as some of the dead certain catchments are going to get very small.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now