Newstead Results 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BR5mum

Re: Newstead Results 2018

Post by BR5mum »

That’s useful and we find ourselves in a similar position - where did your DD end up? We are thinking of trying for an ooc place at Tonbridge with a score of 410[/quote]

My DD is at Newstead and loving it. We chose it because we live in Petts Wood, so it's only a 5 min drive. We loved Weald, but we put it 2nd due to the distance, and I'm glad we did, as DD is completely exhausted with the longer day and travelling, so I couldn't imagine how she'd be if she had an hour's journey each way on top. You should get into Newstead with 227, and TGS with 410 (ooc was offered at 394 last year). I guess your choice will depend on which school you feel best fits your child, but I would highly recommend going for the school that is easiest to get to!
Nkib

Post by Nkib »

BR5mum wrote:That’s useful and we find ourselves in a similar position - where did your DD end up? We are thinking of trying for an ooc place at Tonbridge with a score of 410
My DD is at Newstead and loving it. We chose it because we live in Petts Wood, so it's only a 5 min drive. We loved Weald, but we put it 2nd due to the distance, and I'm glad we did, as DD is completely exhausted with the longer day and travelling, so I couldn't imagine how she'd be if she had an hour's journey each way on top. You should get into Newstead with 227, and TGS with 410 (ooc was offered at 394 last year). I guess your choice will depend on which school you feel best fits your child, but I would highly recommend going for the school that is easiest to get to![/quote]

Yes I’m sure you’re right about location and we are West wickham based so it would be bus and train; it’s not entirely without thought as DD has grandparents living in Tonbridge so there is a home to go to etc. We will go to the open day and then decision time. I’m glad your DD is very happy at NW; sometimes we read negative things about the place but then we did about St Olaves and our DS is happy there. Thanks again.
Bromleymum2000

Post by Bromleymum2000 »

I definitely agree with BR5mum, I heard lots and lots of girls explaining to their parents the test was easy when I picked my DD after test. My DD explained there were some tricky parts, so was confused when she overheard other girls. She ultimately scored 232, but I do think the test is a lot trickier than what it seems.
zcacmxi

Post by zcacmxi »

When the results came out last year, there were posts of some receiving scores lower than expected. Now again the same is repeating this year. Are there any stats on % of remarks that then come back with higher scores? As the odd posts states a remark came back with a higher score, but the majority go silent indicating a worse performance on the day.
BellaW

Post by BellaW »

zcacmxi - In my DDs class 15 say the NW test, my DD got 224 - the others I know of 225,222,221, 2 more with passes but not sharing scores. All the others didn't score above the cut-off score.
zcacmxi

Post by zcacmxi »

BellaW wrote:zcacmxi - In my DDs class 15 say the NW test, my DD got 224 - the others I know of 225,222,221, 2 more with passes but not sharing scores. All the others didn't score above the cut-off score.
From that small sample, performance is better than expected if 6 / 15 got above historical cut off ~ 40%..

40% of people sitting the test do not get above the cut off though.. I believe numbers are nearer 1500 sitting the test, 300 being above cut off for only ~150 spaces. So 300/1500 ~ 20%..

Presumably everybody who sits it believes they're in with a chance or can or have scored well in a mock, practise, etc, etc.... But the stats show that 80% do not get it. Stats show the the majority do not get the required level to be deemed selective. Remark can't / doesn't change it for 80% of people?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

BellaW wrote: 2 more with passes but not sharing scores. All the others didn't score above the cut-off score.
There is no such thing as a pass, only a qualifying score. No one will know the qualifying score until 1 March (and beyond). Did any of the letters say number of sitters? I’m the past it has been around 1,000, if that jumped significantly it may affect the qualifying score. Also the new PP/SP Group 1 may have an impact
BellaW

Post by BellaW »

Sorry PettswoodFiona , I know they are not passes and I strongly doubt my DD will get an offer. Some very high scores mentioned on here, so well done to those girls! :D
The parents in our class nevertheless refer to their scores as a pass if it's above 220, even though indeed this year these cut-off guides mean very little. Our letter did not state the number of applicants.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

zcacmxi wrote:
BellaW wrote:zcacmxi - In my DDs class 15 say the NW test, my DD got 224 - the others I know of 225,222,221, 2 more with passes but not sharing scores. All the others didn't score above the cut-off score.
From that small sample, performance is better than expected if 6 / 15 got above historical cut off ~ 40%..

40% of people sitting the test do not get above the cut off though.. I believe numbers are nearer 1500 sitting the test, 300 being above cut off for only ~150 spaces. So 300/1500 ~ 20%..

Presumably everybody who sits it believes they're in with a chance or can or have scored well in a mock, practise, etc, etc.... But the stats show that 80% do not get it. Stats show the the majority do not get the required level to be deemed selective. Remark can't / doesn't change it for 80% of people?
Without any indication how many girls from outside the 9m radius sit the test, you cannot make an accurate assumption.

This year we had 60% offered from our school, and I am not counting those who said they qualified but didn't then want to go to a grammar school.

I know this is not a representative sample, but there have been multiple offers to neighbouring schools too which makes me believe that the qualifying score must be well in excess of top 20%.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

zcacmxi wrote: I believe numbers are nearer 1500 sitting the test,
The total number of children who have sat and are sitting for 2019/2020 is over 1200.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now