Newstead Results 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bexley11plus

Re: Newstead Results 2018

Post by Bexley11plus »

Just posting as an FYI as we went through this last year, my daughter scored 219 and was offered a place from the waiting list during the summer for 2018 entry.
kelly1977

Post by kelly1977 »

Congratulations to all who have done well :) Similarly to other posts, my DD's mark seemed unusually low. She has always been such a good judge of her own performance too (which was the case in the Kent test where she did really well - thank goodness). She only scored 199 in the Newstead test though and really cannot understand at all where she went wrong. Given how resilient she has been in the past, I'm sure she wouldn't be so distraught if she had genuinely struggled and was prepared for a poor result. She is really struggling and we're finding it hard given she is so insistent she done well. Having read other posts, I think a request for a re-mark might be the way to go.
zcacmxi

Post by zcacmxi »

Number of offers after offers day and how long they continue to become available must be related to how many put a school either below first choice and subsequently get an offer from a higher preference school, or who leave the area, go private, etc..

Again, if you like the school and have space on CAF, no harm listing it? But due to the many factors impacting likeliness of receiving an offer always put a safe option that is acceptable, regardless of your score in case things change this year..
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Bexley11plus wrote:Just posting as an FYI as we went through this last year, my daughter scored 219 and was offered a place from the waiting list during the summer for 2018 entry.

Thank you very much for eye-opening information, Bexley11plus. I have been repeatedly told last year's final cut-off was 220 but now we know it is 219 if not lower.
SweetMemory15

Post by SweetMemory15 »

Thanks bexley11plus. My daughter got 217 . We are grou 2 and we are in the catchment area.
miminz

Post by miminz »

sobz70 wrote:Unfortunately my DD didn't make it. Feeling really bad now as her sister is at NW. I cannot believe it as her GL papers she was getting over 90%. There must be a big error. Has anyone had the papers remarked? or appealed successfully?

Hi Sobz70, we met during the selection test day. Our daughters are on the same Lewis coach. My daughter too didn't make it. She devastated that she won't be able to join her big sister at NWS. Don't know what went wrong as she always do well on her practice papers.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Ex-parent here. The link PettswoodFiona posted earlier in this thread (page 2) does not show the post from FlowerPink18 where she says the remark of her DD's paper added 20 marks to her result and an offer of a place. This is because she edited the post and removed the comment about the 20 mark uplift as we were all talking to her. I can only assume she did this because she realised she would be outing herself and her child, or that she was asked to remove it. I would suggest any of you who are puzzled by the result of this year's test ask for a remark. Last year parents were told the papers were marked by two teachers so there should not be mistakes, but is it possible the second teacher was just counting up the marks of the first teacher, rather than checking the answers? If it is the same type of entrance test as my DD took a few years ago it will have been split into four sections. They would have been told when to start working on a paper and told when to stop working on it. In our day there was a penalty for going back to a paper after the 15 minutes and somewhere earlier on this thread I was concerned when a poster mentioned that her child had time left over to go back over it. This would be unusual as they are very fast 15 minutes sessions with plenty of questions to answer. Not everyone finishes the questions. This is how it worked in our day, but of course it could have changed this year. I hear the practice papers run by the PTA were not in 15 minute sections so perhaps it has changed?

PP and SP in the first 350. There may or may not be a high number of these but the inclusion of this new higher criteria makes the comparison with the historical cut off redundant. How can any parent use the information of the cutoff to decide on CAF position when it belongs to an old admission system no longer used?
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

bluesea wrote:Last year parents were told the papers were marked by two teachers so there should not be mistakes, but is it possible the second teacher was just counting up the marks of the first teacher, rather than checking the answers?
Three teachers are involved in the marking process. Two teacher marking together and the other teacher checking the marked papers afterwards.
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

As PettsWoodFiona said, lots of girls do well on Kent and Bexley, but don't manage to pass NW. My DD did the tests last year. All the girls came out saying it was the easiest test, but it's actually deceptively tricky (there's usually 1 answer that looks like the obvious one which the girls go for, but actually the correct answer is a different one).

My DD scored 263 on Bexley and 419 on Kent, so I was surprised when she scored 229 on NW, I was expecting a higher mark. I didn't put it down to incorrect marking though, I just put it down to the test being deceptively tricky. There's no harm asking for a re-mark, but it may be the case that the score is what it is.
Nkib

Post by Nkib »

My DD scored 263 on Bexley and 419 on Kent, so I was surprised when she scored 229 on NW, I was expecting a higher mark. I didn't put it down to incorrect marking though, I just put it down to the test being deceptively tricky. There's no harm asking for a re-mark, but it may be the case that the score is what it is.[/quo

That’s useful and we find ourselves in a similar position - where did your DD end up? We are thinking of trying for an ooc place at Tonbridge with a score of 410
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now