Newstead Results 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Newsteadmum1

Re: Newstead Results 2018

Post by Newsteadmum1 »

Felt compelled to write for the very first time. Previously been a keen observer! DD's sister is already at NW. Expected DD to pass with flying colours. Her score is much lower than expected. There is a real possibility of a marking error. Compared results of DD's friends and they are all lower than expected.

Pettswoodfiona how do we approach the school about this?

Has anyone scored higher than 228? Please post.
Skorccio

Post by Skorccio »

Thanks PettswoodFiona. It's great to hear from someone who's gone before us and can give great advice.

Sorry to hear Sobz, I feel for you. If you go down the route of appeal, hope it works out so you can post back here to let us know.

Apal, if Newstead is your top choice, but you're not sure if your DD's score is high enough, you have nothing to lose by putting it as 1st choice. In fact, the safe option is to put the other schools lower on your list as a 'safety net' and not to put them higher. So I agree with hermanmunster.
apal17

Post by apal17 »

Skorccio wrote:Thanks PettswoodFiona. It's great to hear from someone who's gone before us and can give great advice.

Sorry to hear Sobz, I feel for you. If you go down the route of appeal, hope it works out so you can post back here to let us know.

Apal, if Newstead is your top choice, but you're not sure if your DD's score is high enough, you have nothing to lose by putting it as 1st choice. In fact, the safe option is to put the other schools lower on your list as a 'safety net' and not to put them higher. So I agree with hermanmunster.
that makes sense but the other grammar said to put them as our 1st place option... so I'm worried that if i don't do that she will end up with neither place!! maybe i will ask them if they took any kids who listed it at their 2nd place option. just don't want to take the risk as the kiddo has worked so hard!
BellaW

Post by BellaW »

We got 224, I was happy given DD wasn't tutored at all. A friend told me it's only a waiting list score as cut-off scores go up each year. I am proud regardless :D (sorry for posting 2s!) Her DD got 230 she told me but she is the brightest of her class so well done to her and everyone else.
Last edited by BellaW on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

BellaW wrote:We got 224, I was happy given DD wasn't tutored at all. A friend told me it's only a waiting list score as cut-off scores go up each year. I am proud regardless :D
Her DD got 230 she told me but she is the brightest of her class so well done to her and everyone else.
Bella, last year 222 got places on offer day so it may not be a waitlist score, but we (maybe your letter mentions it???) don't know how many sat the test in comparison to last year, how many will want Newstead as their preferred choice and how much the new PP top 350 places will affect the qualifying score. Well done to your DD.

Cut-off scores do not always go up, for Sep 2016 entry the scores went down a fair bit on the previous year - I suspect due to some bad press the school was having and the headmistress at the time. Mr Blount, the new Head, is well liked the girls and the school does seem more popular as a result.

DD is now in Y9 and loving the school so if anyone has questions about the school do just ask.
Ritah

Post by Ritah »

Newsteadmum1 wrote:Felt compelled to write for the very first time. Previously been a keen observer! DD's sister is already at NW. Expected DD to pass with flying colours. Her score is much lower than expected. There is a real possibility of a marking error. Compared results of DD's friends and they are all lower than expected.

All my DD's frnds have scored above 220 ,one of them scored 276 !!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

apal17 wrote:
Skorccio wrote:Thanks PettswoodFiona. It's great to hear from someone who's gone before us and can give great advice.

that makes sense but the other grammar said to put them as our 1st place option... so I'm worried that if i don't do that she will end up with neither place!! maybe i will ask them if they took any kids who listed it at their 2nd place option. just don't want to take the risk as the kiddo has worked so hard!
Seriously please look at the equal preference system. You cannot lose a place you put second if you qualify for that place. If your first choice cannot offer you a place, your second choice becomes your first choice. Don't listen to playground gossip!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Newsteadmum1 wrote:Felt compelled to write for the very first time. Previously been a keen observer! DD's sister is already at NW. Expected DD to pass with flying colours. Her score is much lower than expected. There is a real possibility of a marking error. Compared results of DD's friends and they are all lower than expected.

Your post is unclear Newsteadmum1. Did your DD score 228 and you are worried at that being a low score? If yes then please be sensitive to those who have scored less. Yes DDs have scored higher than that. Also DDs have scored lower than that. Those who scored 6 points lower that 228 got in on offer day last year so 228 sounds like a fairly solid score and well done to your DD. This is all subject to how many sat the test, how many want the school, how much the PP top 350 places affects those who need a score.
Last edited by PettswoodFiona on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hello! As this is the first year of the new admissions arrangement where anyone in Group 1 (Pupil Premium or Service Premium) who gets in the top 350 will be guaranteed a place provided they put it on their CAF - it would be helpful if you are in this category to share the wording of your results letter. I am presuming all those who have so far posted on this thread are in Group 2 - within the 9 mile radius but not PP as they are posting about scores.

If you don't want to post publicly, then I invite you to PM me and I will anonymously post the wording of the letter to the board. Anything that can help those in the same position consider applying to this school will be really helpful.

For those who are not familiar with my numerous posts, I am a parent of a Y9 girl at NW school and found this forum very helpful when my DD was going through the process so stick around to try to help others. No other agenda.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Are you sure there are different letters for PP? Generally speaking it would be quite unusual to process that information before applying.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now