11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Newsteadmum1

Re: Newstead Results 2018

Post by Newsteadmum1 »

Thanks for the info Ritah. DD scored 221 so it will be a waiting game for us :(
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

mitasol wrote:Are you sure there are different letters for PP? Generally speaking it would be quite unusual to process that information before applying.
As this is a new admissions process I assume they must notify those in category one if they qualified in the top 350, otherwise what is the purpose of the new criteria? The SIF that was used to register for the test asked for proof of PP to be included if relevant so yes it has been known before applying.

When DD got her letter of result it said she was in group 1 which at that time meant she was in the 9 mile catchment. This year I suspect most will be in group 2, within 9 mile catchment but not PP.

Surely if one of the qualifying criteria is top 350 the letter for that group should say if you were in or out of that category?

I think your very question and the new process means it would be helpful for anyone in group 1 to share their wording if they are willing, even if that means the wording turns out the same. Which of it does would be a shame as it wouldn’t give the assurances the admissions process is trying to create.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Newsteadmum1 wrote:Felt compelled to write for the very first time. Previously been a keen observer! DD's sister is already at NW. Expected DD to pass with flying colours. Her score is much lower than expected. There is a real possibility of a marking error. Compared results of DD's friends and they are all lower than expected.

Pettswoodfiona how do we approach the school about this?

Has anyone scored higher than 228? Please post.

Hi Newsteadmum1,
My daughter scored 238. It is much lower than I expected as she's got 141/141 in the Kent test reasoning part and has been consistently getting near full marks for mock tests.
But then, Newstead Wood test is an age standardised test unlike St Olaves test.
So, I guess the score would show your child position relative to other children who sat the test.

On a slightly different note, I wonder if we could get a place this year with the pupil premium wild card... :(
cwh

Post by cwh »

PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

apprentice wrote:
Newsteadmum1 wrote:Felt compelled to write for the very first time. Previously been a keen observer! DD's sister is already at NW. Expected DD to pass with flying colours. Her score is much lower than expected. There is a real possibility of a marking error. Compared results of DD's friends and they are all lower than expected.

Hi Newsteadmum1,
My daughter scored 238. It is much lower than I expected as she's got 141/141 in the Kent test reasoning part and has been consistently getting near full marks for mock tests.
However, Newstead Wood test is age standardised test unlike St Olaves test.
So, the score would show your child position relative to other children to sat the test.
Apprentice well done to your DD. However I will reiterate my previous plea that referring to very good scores as low ones is not helpful or kind to those who may have even lower scores.

Each style of test is different and DCs will do better in one style of test compared to another depending on their particular strengths. Whilst NW is GL it still doffernt from Kent.

I see every year high scorers in Kent and Bexley not finding places at NW, that could be a combination of test, style, smaller number of spaces. Scoring poorer in one does not preclude doing well in another test and vice-versa.
zcacmxi

Post by zcacmxi »

Personally, I'd not write off any score above 210 based solely on previous years, in the same way as I'd not consider I'm guaranteed with 225.
The test is different every year. More people may choose other schools or not, every year is different. 215-220 is a large range.
At Townley, catchment was always 9+ miles in all previous years. Last year it nearly halved on offer day.
If you have space on your CAF, agreed with the comment above, "if you don't list it, you've got 0 chance". List it, but also have a safe alternative.
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

Our DD got 225, this is all new to us. We are outside catchment area and we were placed in group 3. Do we still have a chance of her getting a place? How does the whole process work?
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

PettswoodFiona wrote:
apprentice wrote:

Hi Newsteadmum1,
However, Newstead Wood test is age standardised test unlike St Olaves test.
So, the score would show your child position relative to other children to sat the test.
Apprentice well done to your DD. However I will reiterate my previous plea that referring to very good scores as low ones is not helpful or kind to those who may have even lower scores.

Each style of test is different and DCs will do better in one style of test compared to another depending on their particular strengths. Whilst NW is GL it still doffernt from Kent.

I see every year high scorers in Kent and Bexley not finding places at NW, that could be a combination of test, style, smaller number of spaces. Scoring poorer in one does not preclude doing well in another test and vice-versa.
Hi PWF, thank you for your message. However, I don't think it is fair or kind of you to condemn me as unhelpful or unkind just because I expressed similar sentiment as Newsteadmum1 while trying to reason why a child might get a score which they and their family did not expect. The difference between 228 and 238 is marginal. I've done what you have done - trying to make sense of the discrepancy and to be helpful.

Can we try understanding rather than judgemental? Giving the benefit of the doubt than assuming the worst intention of others, considering that no one is a mindreader? Thanks!
Last edited by apprentice on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SweetMemory15

Post by SweetMemory15 »

Got the post ..We got 217 ..We are 2 miles away from Newstead. ANY BIG CHANCES?
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

SweetMemory15 wrote:Got the post ..We got 217 ..We are 2 miles away from Newstead. ANY BIG CHANCES?
I completely agree with zcacmxi on this one.
I would put it down with anything above 210. Moreover, 217 is certainly within the historical cut-off range. So, I'd say there is a good mathematical probability for your DD to get a place. Of course, it is my personal opinion and no one can predict how things will turn out this year with a variable like top 350 pupil premium.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now