11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
apprentice

Re: Newsteadwood and new policy of pupil premium

Post by apprentice »

Deleted - duplicated post :mrgreen:
Qusay02

Post by Qusay02 »

Apprentice; I am sorry to hear that but this proves that FSM is not the way how to decide the financial status of people. I feel like families who are just surviving with their expenses and also they are not in the category of what suppose to mean poor; will be the victim of this new policy. I can’t afford private schools and I do teach my children myself and I am not rich but also my children are not entitled to FSM!!!! So in this case is it fair on my children to be not entitled to anything???? Even to be judged on merit???
I am not trying to be less sympathetic with disadvantaged pupils but also many pupils would be totally ignored when they don’t have any other advantages except they don’t meet certain financial criteria.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

I have previously tried to make an educated guess on how far down the rankings NW go when they offer places based on comparisons with other tests that make data available.

Does anybody have an idea how many girls outside the 9m radius sit the test?

This is the only number that could make a big difference to my calculations.

In any case, I believe they offer well past the 200 ranking and possibly past 300 and the new PP policy will make little difference as there's not many girls falling within the margin.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Changes to admission procedures should not be made for financial reasons.
shelley75

Post by shelley75 »

I think it's not so much to get the pupil premium money itself but in order to expand the number of grammar places they have to look like they are working to make their grammar school more inclusive (although some people think these policies are 'tokenism' as so few PP children even pass the 11+ at all).

This is a quote from a report:

"Earlier this year, the government confirmed that grammar schools will have access to £50 million more each year until 2021 if they provide a satisfactory plan for how they will become more inclusive and take in more pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds."
Qusay02

Post by Qusay02 »

But is this inclusive or it would be exclusive to other group?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The government has encouraged GS to be more proactive admitting PP children and it comes with a financial incentive. I doubt there are many GS that come close to admitting the national average of PP students.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

But is this inclusive or it would be exclusive to other group?
The admissions policy is not specific on this point:

Group 1: Girls living within a 9 mile radius of the school who are in receipt of Pupil Premium or Service Premium at the time of application to sit the test and are ranked in the top 350 of the rank order will automatically receive a place. Documentary evidence that the parent has been in receipt of the appropriate support payment entitling the child to Pupil Premium or Service Premium will be required.

This does not make it clear whether girls are ranked from all applicants or just within the 9m group.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

mitasol wrote:The government has encouraged GS to be more proactive admitting PP children and it comes with a financial incentive. I doubt there are many GS that come close to admitting the national average of PP students.
In the Townley documentary the HT said his school had one of the highest PP proportion of students (I think in the whole country).
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

https://www.compare-school-performance. ... population" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is well below the national average.

As I said all GS are being encouraged to improve access for PP.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now