Chis & Sid

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hopeful123***

Chis & Sid

Post by Hopeful123*** »

Went to the open evening last night and was super impressed with the school. Had a wonderful tour guide, the children we came across were polite, engaging and seemed genuinely happy and proud to be a part of the school. The school had a lovely feel to it.

This is now looking to be our first choice, very close second to Beths (which we also thought was impressive) but two very different schools and we now think that C&S is probably a better fit for our DS.

Any parents on here with Y7's at C&S - just wondered how they are finding the school and the whole settling in process? Also I was surprised to hear that they do French, German and Latin from y7 (I actually thought it would be French or German + Latin) - how are you children finding doing all 3 of these subjects? I just wondered if it was a "bit much".

Any experience shared would be appreciated.

Thank you
thickasabrick

Re: Chis & Sid

Post by thickasabrick »

It is either French or German, plus Latin.
shelley75

Post by shelley75 »

DD started in September (she helped out at last night's open evening).

She does German and Latin (and the other half of the school do French and Latin).

The settling in process was good: The first four days are shorter days (although the first half day is just CATS tests).

She went to a very laid back primary with very little homework and found the amount of H/W a shock to the system (probably about 35 pieces this half term). But she's getting used to it.

They are quite strict on everything (she had a detention for losing her mouth guard) but the kids know where they stand.

It's a very happy and kind school and DD has settled in well. I think it was 100% the right choice for us.
phina1

Post by phina1 »

As above, it's now just Latin and either French or German (half the year do each language), they changed it last year I believe. I'm not really clear what happens in Year 8 and whether they all start the other language or not.

Also, the Latin seems to include a lot of history/classics and not be all about the language.

My DS has settled in really well. He's not too keen on the rugby, but all the boys have to do it in the first term. He hasn't had as much homework as I thought he would get (I think his form is getting off lightly). Settling in was really good with a series of shorter days and most of the first pieces of homework were to cover books and things like that (nothing too strenuous) so they eased them into it. They also had an evening a few weeks in where we got to have a chat with the form tutor to see how everything was going which was nice to hear how they had settled from the school's perspective.

We also looked at Beth's and I wanted to love it as I thought DS might like a boys school, but none of us particularly liked it for some reason. Overall, he is really happy at C&S and we are all very happy with the choice we made.
xnataliax

Post by xnataliax »

I can only echo the previous 2 posters. My DD started year 7 in September and is doing Latin and French. She has settled in really well, has a nice group of new friends (she was the only one from her primary to go here) and loves the school.
They are strict and everyone knows where they stand. It is a very caring environment and the Co-ed really suits my DD. So far so good on all fronts.
The school responds promptly to any questions and communication is very good and clear.
We have already noticed a change for the good in our DD. At primary she was very disorganised and although bright could be lazy and we expected her to have detention every week; how wrong we were! She had risen to the challenge and is coming into her own. Only negative is the 269 bus journey home which can be horrendous with the traffic. Mornings are fine.
Every Thursday they have a topical news quiz in their forms and my DD loves the street food stalls! This was our second preference on the CAF form but it turned out to be totally the right choice for us. It’s the right place for her and we can see she being stimulated and trying new things with the various lunchtime clubs. Most importantly we can see she’s happy.
mj8784

Post by mj8784 »

I just did one of the small group tours with the head and was really impressed too. I went last year for my older son and wasn’t so keen as it felt very old fashioned but I echo the OP’s comments about the kids seeming confident and happy.

My older son went to Beths in the end and it was definitely the right decision for him as he’s football mad! He’s loving it there so far so I would really recommend it but all kids are different and I think C&S might be better for my younger son as a second choice after St Olaves.

My only question/concern for any C&S parents is that it didn’t seem as academic as Beths or Bexley. I love the focus on the whole child and extra curricular stuff but do they push the kids to do well academically too? Thanks in advance!
Ungratefulbiped

Post by Ungratefulbiped »

I found the children at C&S very articulate compared to local comps. They were almost too worldly and off topic now, but... why do teenagers have such great skin now? They're all so beautiful and they should have to suffer awkwardness like we did!

I am almost intimidated especially as my own child is on the nerdier side.
shelley75

Post by shelley75 »

mj8784 wrote:
My only question/concern for any C&S parents is that it didn’t seem as academic as Beths or Bexley. I love the focus on the whole child and extra curricular stuff but do they push the kids to do well academically too? Thanks in advance!

I think that all the Bexley grammars are very good at this: the children will get the grades their abilities and hard work earn them. I have found Chis n Sid good so far; there are lots of opportunities for the students to stretch themselves if they want to. DD hasn't pushed herself too much yet because it's been a big adjustment with the longer days and extra homework from what she's used to. Having said that I think some of the homework has been difficult. Here are some examples:

Analyse the texture and composition in a Picasso drawing, learn the first 20 symbols in the periodic table, locate latitude & longitude coordinates on a map, a large project on sustainable textiles.

If those examples seem a bit too straightforward then it's a good indicator that it might not be as academic a school as you are looking for.
Hopeful123***

Post by Hopeful123*** »

Thank you everyone, your responses are all very helpful. It's really good to hear first hand opinions.

We're now decided that C&S is definitely our 1st choice, and given that we are well within catchment (under 2 miles) I'm pretty confident that DS will get it.

Just so glad that the decision is made.

Thanks again!
mj8784

Post by mj8784 »

shelley75 wrote:
mj8784 wrote:

I think that all the Bexley grammars are very good at this: the children will get the grades their abilities and hard work earn them. I have found Chis n Sid good so far; there are lots of opportunities for the students to stretch themselves if they want to. DD hasn't pushed herself too much yet because it's been a big adjustment with the longer days and extra homework from what she's used to. Having said that I think some of the homework has been difficult. Here are some examples:

Analyse the texture and composition in a Picasso drawing, learn the first 20 symbols in the periodic table, locate latitude & longitude coordinates on a map, a large project on sustainable textiles.

If those examples seem a bit too straightforward then it's a good indicator that it might not be as academic a school as you are looking for.
Thanks they sound pretty full on - thanks! DS1 at Beths is making a model of a coral reef for Geography homework :roll: To be fair he has lots of other more challenging things to do too :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now