Just starting out for 2019 help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bexleyfirsttimer

Just starting out for 2019 help

Post by Bexleyfirsttimer »

Hi Everyone, I’m just starting out slowly with teaching my dd with the 11+ for 2019. I have study book and ten min tests but it’s a bit overwhelming where to begin. How did you devise a study plan. Did you just work through page by page or a specific strategy? Is there any advise on areas to tackle. Maybe your top 5 tips ? Thankyou for your guidance. I hope this post will help the many other following me in the coming year.
Ungratefulbiped

Re: Just starting out for 2019 help

Post by Ungratefulbiped »

I did the tutoring mostly myself. We picked it apart subject by subject just making sure we covered areas not yet covered in school. I used non-verbal tests for a bit of confidence building if he got frustrated as he always did well in those.
Maths is easy to work through as it's pretty black and white and easy to find practice on fractions or equations by googling.
We tried a lot of different strategies for vocabulary, which was our weakness. I had a white board we wrote a few words on everyday, we did flash cards we created from tests when we stumbled and we did writing short stories with the words. Not all at the same time just changed up what we were doing to keep it interesting.
Comprehension was another weakness and we just read and discussed motivations and context clues before attempting tests.
CGP and Bond 10 minutes were the best as short sharp practice once we built up some speed
PeppermintCreams

Post by PeppermintCreams »

Vocabulary is the big thing to look at as English and verbal reasoning are 50% of the Bexley exam. Make sure any books you use for the Bexley exam are CEM. Kent is GL so will have different things so if you are doing both exams you will need both sets of boths. If you are home tutoring, I would suggest some proper mock exams towards the end as the question timing is very tight. There are places that offer this service in Bexley borough. Good luck.
hanaF

Post by hanaF »

We used CGP 10 mins tests, Bond CEM papers and FPTP. After Christmas I sent DS2 to a weekly group tutorial as he learns better with peers, they play vocab games etc. which really helped him. Towards the summer and once knowledge gaps have been addressed, please do some mock tests (either at a tuition centre or recreate the exam conditions at home). DS2 misaligned a whole section on the answer sheet in one of his first mock tests, luckily he had learnt his mistake since!

Reading is also very important, try to read as widely as possible including some classics and make sure you discuss the books with DC. That said, some children can be very reluctant to read a thick classic novels, hence we used FPTP comprehension books to build up DS2 reading.

I did devise a timetable with DS2 - on average about 1/2 hour practice and feedback a day.

Good luck!
pabloc

Post by pabloc »

Practice papers and vocab lists...that alone should see them right.

Go over the papers with your child and show where they went wrong.
Don’t worry if they score in 40s or 50s per cent at start...they will improve all the time.

My son isn’t in borough and only started practice in June...the improvement in the 3 months was amazing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now