Am I being stupid on my CAF?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ungratefulbiped

Re: Am I being stupid on my CAF?

Post by Ungratefulbiped »

In that case, I would fill them up with schools you have seen and would tolerate. With this high birth rate year anything can happen. :?
Literally been gearing up for this for years and crying about it like chicken little. There are going to be a lot of shocks on 1 March, I think.
PeppermintCreams

Post by PeppermintCreams »

Ungratefulbiped wrote:
In that case, I would fill them up with schools you have seen and would tolerate. With this high birth rate year anything can happen. :?
Literally been gearing up for this for years and crying about it like chicken little. There are going to be a lot of shocks on 1 March, I think.
This is no comfort but everyone else I have spoken to with a child is year 6 is the same. Absolutely awful. Can't wait for this all to be over. :(
Ungratefulbiped

PeppermintCreams wrote:
Ungratefulbiped wrote:
This is no comfort but everyone else I have spoken to with a child is year 6 is the same. Absolutely awful. Can't wait for this all to be over. :(
I have UK school system ptsd. DS didn't get into the local catholic primary the priest even said "don't worry I'll make sure he gets a place" because of the cut throats antics and lack of places. (He eventually got a place years later). We are extra jittery and tried to move in advance of all this but the chain broke... twice! It's been a trying period of life.
Woodham

Post by Woodham »

Ungratefulbiped wrote:Opinions please!
Last year, boys in my village got sent to Kemnal, 5 miles away as there were no places at the usual comps: Crown woods, Coopers etc. There were some boys still waiting on any place in August (think Bullers picked up all the late applicants and stragglers)
We always wanted St Thomas More and fulfil all the criteria but had a panic we would be juiuist out of catchement as last year many were upset and shocked at how small it became.
So we have no "safety"
Would it be stupid to list my CAF like this (all straight line measures)
1. BGS 3.1 miles
2 C&S 2.9 miles
3. Beth's 3.9 miles
4. St. Thomas More 1.3 miles

As I have no safety, I don't know what else to list. It would be a bit like putting down a comp for the sake of it? We liked Crown Woods and the grammar stream but boys from here aren't getting it lately so it's no safety net.
First of all, please do not panic (I know it's easier said than done). Your DS has passed the 11+ and you should be very grateful and appreciative that he has done so because it is a huge achievement! All the schools you have chosen are fantastic and if you are not offered a place at any of them on the 1st March 2019, I am pretty your DS will receive an offer in the summer. Two years ago, there was one forum member whose DS received an offer from Chis 'n' Sid on 30th August, two days before the beginning of the school year so there is always hope.

St. Thomas More has always been very popular with Catholic parents around this part of South East London but even more so in recent years. I know parents who attended Mass every Saturday evening/Sunday for over 10/20 years at Christ Church, Eltham and live within the parish whose DC were not offered a place as they live near Sutcliffe Park which is nearly 2 miles from the school even though there home is within the parish boundary. Unless you live in one of the residential roads near Eltham High Street or around New Eltham Station or the far western part of the Sidcup, Welling or Blackfen parishes you have absolutely no chance of your DS being offered a place at the school. The competition for places at St. Thomas More is exacerbated by Catholic families who reside in the Sidcup, Blackfen and Welling parishes who refuse to send their DC to their two local Catholic schools (and send them to St. Thomas More instead) - St. Columba's and St. Catherine's. These schools have a very bad reputation with Catholics across the Bexley borough - not surprising considering the atrocious behaviour I have witnessed from pupils of those schools in Bexleyheath town centre and continuous reports of fights and stabbings in the local newspapers. I would never send my DC to St. Columba's or St. Catherine's!

Are you in a position to opt for the private schools if your DS is not offered a place? Farringtons, Chislehurst is a very popular option for parents whose DC don't pass the 11+ or are not offered a place at a grammar school despite passing the 11+. As you are a Catholic, Bishop Challonor, Shortlands might be another possibility for your DS.
Ungratefulbiped

Woodham wrote:
Ungratefulbiped wrote:Opinions please!
Last year, boys in my village got sent to Kemnal, 5 miles away as there were no places at the usual comps: Crown woods, Coopers etc. There were some boys still waiting on any place in August (think Bullers picked up all the late applicants and stragglers)
We always wanted St Thomas More and fulfil all the criteria but had a panic we would be juiuist out of catchement as last year many were upset and shocked at how small it became.
So we have no "safety"
Would it be stupid to list my CAF like this (all straight line measures)
1. BGS 3.1 miles
2 C&S 2.9 miles
3. Beth's 3.9 miles
4. St. Thomas More 1.3 miles

As I have no safety, I don't know what else to list. It would be a bit like putting down a comp for the sake of it? We liked Crown Woods and the grammar stream but boys from here aren't getting it lately so it's no safety net.
First of all, please do not panic (I know it's easier said than done). Your DS has passed the 11+ and you should be very grateful and appreciative that he has done so because it is a huge achievement! All the schools you have chosen are fantastic and if you are not offered a place at any of them on the 1st March 2019, I am pretty your DS will receive an offer in the summer. Two years ago, there was one forum member whose DS received an offer from Chis 'n' Sid on 30th August, two days before the beginning of the school year so there is always hope.

St. Thomas More has always been very popular with Catholic parents around this part of South East London but even more so in recent years. I know parents who attended Mass every Saturday evening/Sunday for over 10/20 years at Christ Church, Eltham and live within the parish whose DC were not offered a place as they live near Sutcliffe Park which is nearly 2 miles from the school even though there home is within the parish boundary. Unless you live in one of the residential roads near Eltham High Street or around New Eltham Station or the far western part of the Sidcup, Welling or Blackfen parishes you have absolutely no chance of your DS being offered a place at the school. The competition for places at St. Thomas More is exacerbated by Catholic families who reside in the Sidcup, Blackfen and Welling parishes who refuse to send their DC to their two local Catholic schools (and send them to St. Thomas More instead) - St. Columba's and St. Catherine's. These schools have a very bad reputation with Catholics across the Bexley borough - not surprising considering the atrocious behaviour I have witnessed from pupils of those schools in Bexleyheath town centre and continuous reports of fights and stabbings in the local newspapers. I would never send my DC to St. Columba's or St. Catherine's!

Are you in a position to opt for the private schools if your DS is not offered a place? Farringtons, Chislehurst is a very popular option for parents whose DC don't pass the 11+ or are not offered a place at a grammar school despite passing the 11+. As you are a Catholic, Bishop Challonor, Shortlands might be another possibility for your DS.
Private school is not an option, no. We've been weekly mass attendees for the entirety of primary and traditionally children from our road are offered STM. Going further back, most children from their primary went there as well. It's just it's sooo tight lately and the increase in births this year made us nervous. I'm fairly confident we'll have a grammar option at the summer at least as well.

That's terrible about the Bexley Catholic Schools. I did wonder what they were like, but we're too far to consider them. I also have guilt about sending him to grammar instead of a Catholic. DC LOVED Bonus Pastor but again, just living on the edge of everything and the middle of nothing!