Travelling from Sutton to St Olave's grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
care4

Travelling from Sutton to St Olave's grammar school

Post by care4 »

Anyone travelling to St Olave's grammar school from Sutton?

I have tried searching for public transport with no luck. Any private transport anyone know about please?

Car journey will be anywhere between 40 mins to 60 mins.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Travelling from Sutton to St Olave's grammar school

Post by PettswoodFiona »

care4 wrote:Anyone travelling to St Olave's grammar school from Sutton?

I have tried searching for public transport with no luck. Any private transport anyone know about please?

Car journey will be anywhere between 40 mins to 60 mins.
This seems quite impractical a journey on a daily basis do you have any other options? I suspect your car journey times might not account for rush hour traffic either? Lewis Coaches http://www.lewis-school-travel.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; do coaches to Newstead and Olaves but I don't know the routes they offer as DD is a short bus ride (had been able to walk during some recent road closures) away. A train journey via London Bridge looks like it is around 1h 10 mins and that is not taking into account the 15 mins walk from Orpington Station to the school and then any walk you have to Sutton station.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Care4 if you google the journey the train option seems to be Sutton to Herne Hill and then Herne Hill to Orpington, a journey of over an hour plus a walk from the station to school. The same search brings up a car route via the M25. Not journeys I would be wanting to do everyday. I don't know if there are private coaches making this journey, calling the school may be the easiest way of finding out if there are or if there are any other children making the journey.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you are intent on your DS attending St Olaves, despite having great grammar schools available close to home, then I am sure that PettswoodFiona will be only too happy to advise on decent places to move to in and around Orpington :).

Herne Hill is also quite nice, if that is where he would be changing trains anyway?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Ha Ha, thanks ToadMum, yes Care4 do PM me if you are thinking of moving and I'd be happy to try and help.
care4

Post by care4 »

Thank for help guys.

Yes moving is an option as well. But if we move, we need to think about grammar schools for our dd as well. Recommendations on areas will help.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

care4 wrote:Thank for help guys.

Yes moving is an option as well. But if we move, we need to think about grammar schools for our dd as well. Recommendations on areas will help.
Unless you mean, for a DD who is currently in a grammar school to transfer to, then (not wishing to cast aspersions on your DD's academic ability, of course, but) you also have to consider the non-selective options?

Orpington has Newstead Wood, of course.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Girls from Petts Wood, next door to Orpington, got placed at a huge range of grammar schools this September. Newstead is of course the obvious one and DD loves it there.

Weald of Kent just requires a pass but girls had to wait until late Spring for offers. Then you also have those in Kent that have places for high scorers like Tonbridge and Dartford. Tonbridge has an easy train journey despite the distance and there is a private coach for Dartford. For Bexley places were tight this year but Sidcup and Chislehurst gave places on offer day to those in Petts Wood but Orpington had to wait for later offers. Townley used to come out far enough but the distances offered this year were much smaller.

Darrick Wood is a sought after comprehensive option which is near Newstead.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Moving is not "an option."

It is a requirement if you wish your ds to go to this school.

it is not something that he can do from Sutton?

Is there some reason you are not considering the local schools in Sutton?

Do you have a high enough score for you ds get into St Olaves?

Other posters have listed out some great options for your dd so it sounds like a great move if you are really unhappy with all your local schools. DG
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The second stage hasn’t been sat yet so no one knows their likelihood of St Olaves yet, only that they made it past the first round.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now