Changes to admission procedure 2020 Newstead

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Advice2018

Changes to admission procedure 2020 Newstead

Post by Advice2018 »

I just wondered if anyone saw there is a change to admission policy for 2020. This year top 350 students who are on pupil premium gain a place regardless of score - this year was the first year this policy came into place. However next year, in 2020 a minimum score of 210 needs to be achieved and only those who score above that will be admitted. Does anyone know why they changed it? I wonder if something went wrong with admissions policy this year?
PettswoodFiona

Re: Changes to admission procedure 2020 Newstead

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hadn’t seen that. No emails to current parents or to my friends schools who have children in local primaries. As you say the 2019 intake were the first cohort to have the new PP change to top 350. No one who was PP or forces premium responded on results day to say what the wording of their letter was.

Interesting change to 210 score to be the ‘required standard’ but it does also say they reserve the right to change it too so it is as clear as mud really. I wonder if the latest set of results had thrown up some indications of a reason to change. That may mean a lot of low PP scores in the top 350 this year perhaps or the complete opposite. All we know is that this year we will not be able to compare a qualifying score with with previous years and 2020 intake will also be non-comparable.
Advice2018

Post by Advice2018 »

A little worrying, I suspect large number in
Pupil premium in top 350- I think top 350 would probably go down to about 190.
I think it’s great to encourage pupil premium but I think it’s still important to maintain its selective status. If high number then cut off score for non pupil premium will be really high this year.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

A little worrying, I suspect large number in
Pupil premium in top 350- I think top 350 would probably go down to about 190.
Not really.

I think someone posted last year with a score of 208 being 90something on the waiting list on offer day which would take them to an overall ranking of around 270.

You will then need to factor in those that did not put NW as their first choice and gaining their first choice and those who live outside the 9m radius (within that ranking).

Then again, I am still not clear whether the top 350 ranking refers to 'everyone who sat the test' or 'all applicants who put NW on their CAF' as it would be a bit pointless to rank girls who didn't apply.
StandardMum

Post by StandardMum »

Im really concerned now, it's so hard to read, it's all a bit of a dog's dinner isn't it? To change it again so soon? And if your child isnt in receipt of PP then this year it's even more of a high risk shot in the dark no matter how well your child may have done in the exam as whatever has gone on this year is having to be changed again.What a state.I've seen elsewhere on MN that someone has done a FOA request regarding thus year's Newstead exam results and been refused because it was said that the School didnt want anyone assuming they've got a place from where they've been placed in the scoring order.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

To change the admission procedure two years running is highly unusual. Could possibly be there were many PP in the top 350, especially as the other higher level schools noted greater numbers of applications from bright girls that year. Townley said it took them by surprise.

I expect it may be connected to other differences on the admission policy for 2019 and the one for 2020, noted below. Possibility of applicants stating they were PP/SP after taking the test which caused a lot of extra work and confusion? The added wording for 2020 looks to protect the school.

2019 policy: "documentary evidence that the parent has been in receipt of the appropriate support payment entitling the child to PP or SP will be required".

2020 consultation on new policy notes at bottom: "** Candidates will be considered for a PP place only if they provide written confirmation, directly from their current school, of their PP eligibility. This evidence must be received at the time of the application to sit the test. Please note the School will not contact the current school directly for this information, this is for the girls' parents/carers to provide."

Could be worth checking their Governors' meeting minutes on the website.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Change too in the academic standard for externals coming into sixth form:

2019 entry was 8 GCSE passes at grades 6 - 9.

2020 entry will be 8 GCSE passes, 4 at grade 7 and 4 at grade 6.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

Also, don't know if there was a provision before, the 'required standard' also now includes SEN and adopted/cared for pupils - ahead of general ranking.

Maybe there were not that many pupil premium applications after all and that's why they are including other categories - requiring a minimum score so they can still call themselves selective.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Haven't all schools been required to offer places to looked after children first for many years? Even selective schools (the child having taken the entry exam)?
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

thickasabrick, just to answer your earlier question. The top 350 ranking will refer to all those who took the test. The marking and ranking is undertaken by the school staff. They have no way of knowing if a certain child has put it on their CAF form at that point.

Just looked up that FOI. Yes it was refused under section 22 of the FOIA.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now