Newstead practice test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Anna2018

Newstead practice test

Post by Anna2018 »

Dear all,

This may have been covered in another thread, but cannot find it now. The question is on NW mock test run by PTA (I think) last year. How close to the real exam was it? Was it in the same format / same timing? Are there plans to run it this year, if so, when?

I heard that one of the Sutton schools do a mock run by PTA, but apparently it is not even close to the real exam (in which case, what is the point?). We are sitting the real test in September 2019 and I don’t want to get my daughter unnecessarily confused.

Thanks a lot!
Anna
Fingerscrossedmum

Re: Newstead practice test

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Hi Anna

I'm not sure about the Newstead mock but I can recommend a local tutoring company that run mocks that match the actual exam (I only have boys but my niece used them).

I am aware that it can't post their details on an open forum but please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

The test is in four parts, each section is timed for 15 minutes. The child must not go back to a section which has just ended. The papers are normally turned over when the timed section has ended and are collected desk by desk, this gives the child a chance to go back to a former paper which can result in disqualification on that paper. Many children do not finish each section, which is expected, but as they have been taught throughout their school life to complete every test question they ever do, it's hard for them to just turn it over and move on to the next one. It doesn't help if your child is nervous. Practising examples of the real exam is a very good idea but parents last year said the PTA mock test was not the same.

Anna2018, be prepared to do regular, timed practice at home, especially non-verbal reasoning which some children never see at primary school. Do a lot of non-verbal, particularly the harder questions. My daughter used the Bond books initially. Get to the test day in good time, there is chaos with the parking around those roads. Park a little away and walk ten minutes. Take an umbrella, something for you and your child to read such as newspapers, their favourite novel. Things to keep them calm so they are not nervous. Take a snack for her and a bottle of water in a plain bottle.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Another thought. Taking the PTA mock test will be worth it if it's held in the school. Your child will get to familiarise herself with the school layout, the classrooms, hall, where the toilets are. It could make her feel calmer if she feels she already knows how the school is laid out. Check the mocks are actually held at the school.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I don’t know how realistic the test is as DD (currently Y9 at NW) didn’t have that option. It was only a pilot last year so initial numbers will have been low. As bluesea says the opportunity to sit the test on site - and it was at the school itself for the pilot session - could be an incremental advantage.

When DD did the tests I knew there was GL and CEM etc but I don’t really get too focused on exact formula as I wanted her to be ready and resilient for anything unexpected. DD did Bexley, Kent, NW plus an Independent and the key lesson was to read the instructions and listen to the guidance. Whilst this forum is great you never know when there may be a change.
Anna2018

Post by Anna2018 »

Thank you both for your advice. Much appreciated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now