School Allocation Day- Friday 1st March 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
streathammum

Re: School Allocation Day- Friday 1st March 2019

Post by streathammum »

I'm not at all surprised that primary schools are told the leaver destinations of their pupils.

I suspect they are told before parents in order to prepare any support that might be necessary for those who've received disappointing news.

You could argue against this I suppose - that headteachers should let parents come to them if they want help, or perhaps that they shouldn't be told until after the parents have been told, or that they should only get certain information (eg if a child hasn't been allocated a school at all).

But on the whole I like to think that my children's primary worked alongside us to help my children get the most out of their education so I don't have any problem with them being involved in this tricky bit of it.

There is also a practical reason for providing information on leavers, in that it helps the Head get a picture of what options for secondary transfer are realistic in their area, which will help parents in future years.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Agreed that one reason they are told in advance is so that they are ready to help should they need to - also Primary Schools have to produce leavers destinations so they have to know where everyone is going - it also allows the Primary Schol to check any anomalies - eg where a child has not been allocated a state school place - they can check (if they don't already know) that the child is going to a private school - or if there is a real oddity - it's a checks and balances thing for the LEA.
PeppermintCreams

Post by PeppermintCreams »

thickasabrick wrote: Do Primaries get told this?

How is it any of their business?
Of course they get told! :shock: It's a very important part of secondary school transition. Not only for helping with preparing the children for where they are moving to, but for the school to pass on information on safeguarding, SEN, SATS scores and who the difficult parents are! The poor caretaker will spend September driving the year 6 leaver school files around the borough to the destination secondary schools. I must admit they don't technically need to know before the parents, but the schools internal post from the council only comes once a week so a few days before allocations day is better than a few days after. :lol: I'm guessing the head teachers (and us poor admin staff) will be bombarded with lots of unhappy parents on Monday.
Ungratefulbiped

Post by Ungratefulbiped »

It's going to be the longest day ever.

But schools knowing beforehand is unacceptable. They need to know but not in advance of parents of the children. Disgusting we permit this undermining of our parental ability.
SJan

Post by SJan »

Ungratefulbiped wrote:It's going to be the longest day ever.
Absolutely!
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Ungratefulbiped wrote:It's going to be the longest day ever.

But schools knowing beforehand is unacceptable. They need to know but not in advance of parents of the children. Disgusting we permit this undermining of our parental ability.
In what way do you feel undermined? In what way are you actually undermined?

Incidentally, I believe schools also find out about GCSE and exam results before you do.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Primary school do indeed know the results ahead of parents.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Ungratefulbiped wrote: But schools knowing beforehand is unacceptable. They need to know but not in advance of parents of the children. Disgusting we permit this undermining of our parental ability.
How? They are professionals who know what they are doing. I have no objection to other professionals knowing things about my children before I do, for example a doctor getting blood test results. It doesn't undermine me, it supports me and I can benefit from their expertise.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The LAs are likely to ask schools to check details so they can flag fraudulent applications.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

How? They are professionals who know what they are doing. I have no objection to other professionals knowing things about my children before I do, for example a doctor getting blood test results. It doesn't undermine me, it supports me and I can benefit from their expertise.
This is not comparable.

Do schools get told if your child's allocation was your first choice, second etc.?

How would they support the children if they didn't know whether they got their first choice or not.

There is a lot of movement still happening after Offer Day - do the schools get updated on that as well?

And exactly what preparation could they possibly make for individual destination schools (unless it involves SEN)?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now