Breaside, Ashgrove or St Christopher's The Hall

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Grasshopper

Breaside, Ashgrove or St Christopher's The Hall

Post by Grasshopper »

We are considering the above schools for our two children and like different aspects of them all. However we are leaning towards Breaside simply for their professionalism, facilities and friendliness. This was the first choice of the kids. However, we have little "behind the scenes" knowledge of either school and would really appreciate any experiences (both good and bad). Are they well run with experienced staff who challenge and stretch children? Are children and parents happy? We are new to Bromley and so a bit lost. Both children are academic and we'd hope for St Olaves/ Newstead Wood or Trinity/ Bromley High although who knows! Any feedback appreciated.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Breaside, Ashgrove or St Christopher's The Hall

Post by PettswoodFiona »

None of these schools are selective on their intake so will have a broad range of abilities. I have most knowledge of Braeside as it is the larger and my friend's two DSs went there and another friend's DD went. The boys were very bright and the school seemed to cater for the range of abilities in their class but their mum said they never had real 'competition' in the school but that may be something that is seen as a plus for some parents. They had excellent planning for all the entrance exams including a fair of schools to consider. I have heard some find the style of management of the owners of Braeside - who also have others schools - doesn't suit them but again that is just one opinion. My friend with the DD left after a few years and her daughter joined Bromley High in Y3. Her reasons were she knew she was staying in the independent sector and Bromley High had a more academic focus as well as the playing fields and sports facilities that were not available at Braeside.

I guess you are looking at a co-ed junior school for a DD and a DS but I know some parents who consider separate schools too. The girls at Bromley High get an automatic pass through to the senior school if you want them to stay on so less stress at 11. Babbington also co-ed is also a school I would put ahead of any of those you have listed but appreciate location may not be as convenient depending where you live.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Hi PettswoodFiona, thanks so much for your reply. We are leaning against a "through" school as we would like to have some choice about where the children go for senior school and I think a stand alone school would better prepare the children for 11+. it's reassuring to hear Breaside prepare children well for entrance exams and they seem to get a good proportion of girls into Newstead Wood and Bromley High, as do each of these schools.

We are moving from a very competitive school outside the area. Our son is bright but shy and a more nurturing environment would do much to build up his confidence and get the best out of him. He'd do much better as a "bigger fish in a small pond!".

Thank you again for taking the time to reply. Very much appreciated!
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

From my interaction with the students
- Breaside: very well mannered
- Ashgrove: academically sharper
- St. Christopher - no idea

However, you may need private tuitions for getting admission in the top grammar schools.
Happy hamster

Post by Happy hamster »

Hi, my 2 are at Ashgrove. Happy for you to pm me if you want more info. We think it's great.
mummyof2tots

Post by mummyof2tots »

Happy hamster wrote:Hi, my 2 are at Ashgrove. Happy for you to pm me if you want more info. We think it's great.
Hi Happy Hamster, I know that this is an old post but I was wondering if your children are still at Ashgrove. I am considering this school for my son and he is going in for an assessment day soon, but am struggling to find any informtion on it from current/previous parents as it is such a small school. Any information that you can give me would be appreciated.
TIA x
BhavanaA

Post by BhavanaA »

Hello mums,

I’m planning to enrol my son to St Christopher’s.
But been thinking about Breaside as well.
Can anybody please give me some feedback...
positive and negative...
I do not personally know anything much about these schools. So any pointers will be appreciated please...
Thank you
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

A friend had both a DS and a DD at St Christopher’s but in the last year pulled her son out as they couldn’t cope with his SEN. The DD is fine there and no need to pull out and thriving. Looking at the leaver destinations there are not many in Y6 who end up at selective (Independent or Grammar) schools which seems to be what it says is a big part of its ethos.

Is there a reason you are looking at this above the school your DS is currently at or have an offer for if starting in September? Many of the Beckenham state primaries are highly regarded. There are more academic preps like Bickley Park (combines well with sports too).
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

I don't know much about St Christopher's but know kids who have attended both Breaside and Ashgrove.

Breaside used to, at least up to when I looked a couple of years ago, have one of the most impressive stats in terms of high numbers passing and scores in the 11+ (Kent/Bexley). Bickley Park, again I know children who go there and they love it but it is not a prep for the state sector. In 2017, 4 out of 6 Bickley Park kids passed the Kent test (which I would argue is the easiest of the 11+ tests, unless you struggle with English) but I think it is more geared up for prepping kids for continuing in the private sector, and successfully so. Some boys transition after Y6, many stay and move on at 13+.

What you get in a through-school is, of course, more of a well-rounded education in years 4/5/6 as these schools do not have to spend time prepping their pupils in verbal reasoning/non verbal etc for grammar or other indies.

So, it really depends on what your preferences are. Many of the state schools in the area (Bromley) are of an excellent standard in terms of English/Maths and so many parents supplement with tutoring to get their kids through the 11+. I know tons of kids who have come out of the state sector (supplemented by tutors) who scored above 400 in Kent and who were in the top 180, i.e. better than many of the local indies.

Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now