One mark off

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catjellycat

One mark off

Post by Catjellycat »

Hi all,

I was here a few years ago with my eldest who passed fine. Youngest has just got result of 215 which is a bit heartbreaking for him. I fully accept that there must be a cut off but when I worked it out, he was actually 215.56. If only they’d round up, eh?? :lol:

I don’t think it’s necessarily right to appeal given the massive failure rate of doing so!

However, bexley have added a note on the email that last year some of the grammars took one or two marks below.

As I recall, people here are so knowledgeable so does anyone have info? I seem to recall it was Chis and Sid and maybe Beths in 2017?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Taraific

Re: One mark off

Post by Taraific »

Chis & Sid definitely took under the pass mark for 2019 allocations. A girl in my DD class got in off the waitlist. Same circumstances as yours scored something like 217.56 but rounded down (cut off last year was 218) However, it was after the induction day (so late July?) and she lives about 2miles from the school.
Appeal statistics aren’t great. But you’ve got nothing to lose by trying. It wouldn’t hinder your chances on the waitlist. So I’d go for it.
Catjellycat

Post by Catjellycat »

Thank you for your reply - we are only 1.5 miles straight line to Chis and Sid and 1.1 straight line to Beths so perhaps hopeful.

It’s so hard to know even if a grammar is right for him. He’s a late August baby so I’m still coming to terms with secondary school all together!
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

I think there was a thread suggested Beths also took under pass mark this year. The official booklet says they'd offered all selective applicants by June so it's very likely. All the best to your son, that's really tough.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

My daughter last year got 217.83 and the pass mark was 218, devastated was not the word for how we felt that day, we were hoping to get into townley on reserve list but it hasn't reached that list yet :(
Scrunchse18

Post by Scrunchse18 »

I have been lurking for a long while but had to give you a hand hold as we were in your position last year with my DDs mark rounded down from 217.7ish when the selective mark was 218. I think the post above may have been written about her as she got offered a place at C&S in July! We hopefully put the grammars top of our CAF in the October but were also happy when we got our 4th allocation (a faith school) in March. After accepting the place I was worried that just scraping in she might struggle but so far so good. At last she’s not moaning about being bored at school! Hope your outcome is as good as ours this year. Just remember to put a school down on your CAF that is one that you’re likely to get an offer for.
Catjellycat

Post by Catjellycat »

Thank you! He wants to put grammars top so I’ve agreed that if he likes C&S or Beths when we visit he can. However, his non-selective top two are Harris and Hurstmere (as are mine but the other way round) and I’d be happy for him to go to either of those I think. I also wouldn’t mind Cleeve Park as a third choice.

I’m very strongly anti-tutor and it’s a bit gutting when you know others have tutors themselves a mark over and he’s got so close on his own steam. However, it is what it is and he’s a sensible chap (possibly more than me) and understood all of it and that the process will take time. I wonder if the note on the email is either they’re expecting it to happen or they’re trying to head off a deluge of email/calls about last year!

Thank you all! I’ll keep you updated!
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

That's great!- I had not put C&S on her CAF :(
Scrunchse18

Post by Scrunchse18 »

Anti-tutor here too (but wished we had when she was so close last year!). Maybe getting there on her own steam (albeit from the wait list) is why she’s finding the work to be at the right level (lots of merits so far) despite initially not being deemed selective. Hope it all turns out ok for you in the end.
Bexleymum2608

Post by Bexleymum2608 »

Hi, I am in similar situation. My dad has missed by 1 mark. We are around 2 miles from Townley. Does anyone know if Townley took any girls below the cut off..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now