newsteadwood result 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

thickasabrick

Re: newsteadwood result 2019

Post by thickasabrick »

I am assuming that the standardisation should mean that there isn't a massive jump one year!
This could happen if the number of girls who sit the test has gone up significantly - otherwise it should be similar.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

thickasabrick wrote:
I am assuming that the standardisation should mean that there isn't a massive jump one year!
This could happen if the number of girls who sit the test has gone up significantly - otherwise it should be similar.
Or they just use the same test every year judging by the photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy...
Allyfe

Post by Allyfe »

PettswoodFiona wrote:
thickasabrick wrote:
Or they just use the same test every year judging by the photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy...
Although even if lots more girls have sat it, the standardisation should still mean that the pass mark doesn't jump substantially because they would place the pass based on a percentage of the distribution. That wouldn't necessarily account for an uneven distribution, which could occur from some awareness of the paper (if they really were stupid enough to use the same one year on year). But I honestly really doubt they would use exactly the same paper, although they certainly could recycle questions.
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

Although even if lots more girls have sat it, the standardisation should still mean that the pass mark doesn't jump substantially because they would place the pass based on a percentage of the distribution. That wouldn't necessarily account for an uneven distribution, which could occur from some awareness of the paper (if they really were stupid enough to use the same one year on year). But I honestly really doubt they would use exactly the same paper, although they certainly could recycle questions.
They don't have a pass mark though, places get awarded based on scores which results in a cut-off score depending on the number of applications. Even if it is based on a percentage distribution, the top 20% of 1000 will have a lower cut-off than the top 20% of 1500 as the places available are not increasing.

I'm leaving aside the pupil premium qualifying score - that is just a random figure.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The Pupil Premium is not random, it is very set and was the result of the first year of PP having no set figure so this should make things clearer. If you read the minutes of the Governors meetings they do have very non-random rational for this figure.

I am not 100% certain Newstead do any standardisation beyond age standardisation, does anyone have evidence of this? I gathered from informal conversations the paper was the same and only age standardisation applies. This is why when they went seven or eight years ago from 132 intake to 160 the qualifying score lowered as a result.
Hedgebet1

Post by Hedgebet1 »

Hi - this is all making sense. Does anyone happen to know how the numbers of girls who took the 2019 test compares to previous years - were there significantly more this year? May give an indication of what sort of movement to anticipate for offer cut off??
Allyfe

Post by Allyfe »

So, as I understand it, the scores are standardised because they are translated from percentage correct onto a set scale (out of 280). This means that, no matter what the cohort are like, they can keep the 'pass mark' (which they do have) at 210. They fit the distribution around that. So, if they have 1500 girls sitting instead of 1000, whilst the raw score needed to attain the standardised 210 passmark is likely to be higher, they can basically 'pass' the same number of girls (even if it is a lower overall percentage of the girls who took the exam who have passed).

This isn't the same adjustment as the age adjustment. It is just a way of keeping the same pass mark and score distribution irrespective of the size or overall ability of the cohort each year.

Within the standardisation, the offer day mark will vary because they will always pass considerably more girls than there are places, and the 'offer day' mark will depend on how many girls want to go, and to a degree the differences in their distribution each year

I should say, my understanding is based on what standardisation in this way would standardly be used for, and an observation that the 'pass mark' tends to remain the same. They could do something entirely different.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

That may be how standardisation should work and I believe Bexley do that, but I am not aware NW do anything other than age standardisation, but happy to be corrected.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

I have also heard that they do use exactly the same paper each year, which seems a very odd thing to do.
interestedmum

Post by interestedmum »

Any ideas on how many children sat this year?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now