Newstead wood or Townley dilemma

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Motherhubbard

Re: Newstead wood or Townley dilemma

Post by Motherhubbard »

Thank you all respondents - I really appreciate your advice and insight.
Feeling happier and happier about Newstead.
Now I just need it not to be an anomaly year in entrance score thresholds!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I hope for you and your DD’s sake too Motherhubbard it is not an anomaly year. You may have a small wait and one of the first ones offered after offer day, so look at the waitlist position to get a better idea on 1 March if that happens. Going on past years I think it will be a short wait after offer day and your DD should get a place. Fingers crossed for you.
Annao8

Post by Annao8 »

PettswoodFiona wrote:P.s Newstead is on an easy bus route, ten mins to Bromley Youth Music Trust on Southborough Lane, Bickley (BYMT) where a number of the girls do musical theatre or orchestra etc. That is a paid option and separate from the school. BYMT has some amazing opportunities.
Thank you everyone for all the information about newstead wood. Its also good to know about BYMT, as my daughter loves music and I am sure she will enjoy it.
Motherhubbard

Post by Motherhubbard »

And sorry, Annao8 - I rather hijacked your thread. But it sounds like our DDs are similar in their love of music ! Hopefully they will meet in Sept.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

thickasabrick wrote:If you are afraid your DD might struggle in a particular subject, then you should go to Newstead - as explained above, you have the option not to do too many 'difficult' subjects unlike Townley (or most grammar schools for that matter).
I don’t consider Newstead an easy option. When I mentioned they didn’t have to do triple science that is often as the girl in question wants to free up other options and do multiple languages or extra GCSEs. I am not aware of Townley having any more difficult subjects than Newstead but as Townley advocates have been quiet I am interested to hear the options that make Newstead seem less difficult.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Hi, I have a dd at NW in year 9 and she gets extra time for exams due to additional learning needs. She also attends learning support group there, it’s on Tuesdays and had a peer mentor for maths. Newstead has always been supportive and responsive regarding my dd’s additional needs. We also had a tough time choosing between Newstead and Townley mainly because Townley is the closer option. However my DD was in no doubt that Newstead was the place for her. She is thriving there. However I love Townley too! I have nieces there and many friends with daughters there as well. It depends which is the best fit for your child. Goodluck!
faltu10

Post by faltu10 »

Motherhubbard and Annao8

we are in similar boat this year and my DD has done well in Newstead exam with decent score but as Townley results not out yet, would like to know you experiences about NSW and Townley.
anybody else please free to advise if any between Townley and Newstate.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

faltu10 wrote:Motherhubbard and Annao8

we are in similar boat this year and my DD has done well in Newstead exam with decent score but as Townley results not out yet, would like to know you experiences about NSW and Townley.
anybody else please free to advise if any between Townley and Newstate.
Have you not had to commit yourself to your order of preference a couple of weeks back?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
faltu10

Post by faltu10 »

we have filled CAF forms but as she didn't pass some and we can change our preferences subject to results which are still not out.
Also as DD done her bit by getting good scores on NSW, we are doing our bit of homework.
shaheensayed1

Post by shaheensayed1 »

Any advocates for Townley? I'm in a dilemma too whether NW or Townley. Tia