Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:06 pm 

I would really appreciate any honest feedback from personal experience (positive & negative) in respect of the above schools. I'm aware that this isn't the typical time of year for such a post and so there may not be particularly many participants. However, a crossection of views from parents who actually have children at these schools (throughout all year groups) would be really beneficial and I'd be very grateful if you can assist in any way. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:44 pm 

My ds started BGS this autumn and we are still very much enamoured with the school. We feel that it is the right fit for him and I get the impression that it’s more than ok to be a bit different there. The homework is a shock but he made good friends and settled straight away.
We were originally offered C&S, also a fantastic school, but I have some doubts my little weirdo who loves maths and nerdy games would have fit in there as easily.
My second ds will be starting in 2020 and while a fair bit less nerdy, he’s in love with BGS via his brother and brother’s friends.
It all comes down to your child individually. That sounds trite but it’s very true. All will give a great education, but where are they going to feel they fit?
What other considerations? Travel time? Drama? Sports? Senco needs?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:20 am 

Both my boys are at Beths (Year 8 and stayed on for 6th form) and both are really happy and it is definitely the best school for them both.
As parents, we've also been very happy with the school; in the past, our only mild criticism would have been a lack of communication from the school but that has certainly improved since the new Head took over.

We also looked at Chis and Sid and did like it, but when we walked into Beths, it just felt right and we could just see our boys there.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:03 pm 

Thank you for your feedback - much appreciated and good to hear your DS are happy with their schools. It certainly sounds like both schools are great and all will give a good education.
BGS - Do you feel that a mixed school has made a positive impact on your son's school experience? It sounds like children who do not necessarily conform to the norm are comfortable, which is good but is it particularly competitive and so some try to be 'different'?
BETHS - Do you feel an all boys environment allows for a more focused learning experience? Is there a bit of a 'fit in or be bullied' culture? Are the sportsman of the school seen as being the cool kids and others not?
All leading questions but things that I think young kids may struggle with @ secondary school and ones that aren't necessarily covered during open days/evenings!