St Olaves or Independent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: St Olaves or Independent

Post by kenyancowgirl »

ChalkyC wrote:We had a similar email from Olaves re the wait list! It’s good to know I suppose. We got Chis and Sid which was our second choice but also had independent offers and have accepted one of those.

Back to the OP - we *may* have accepted Olaves over an independent but not in the case that we would have to move house for a school we had not looked round or an area we did not know! How did you find the taster morning on Saturday and did that help you make up your mind?
Just checking that, as you have accepted an independent, you have haven't you, notified the LA for Chris and Sid (and/or the school as well) that you will NOT be accepting the place, so that it can be released to someone on the waiting list, who will be delighted?!
olucares

Post by olucares »

I did email Olave's too (out of interest really) and they replied that my DS will likely get an offer off the waiting list. However, even if the offer comes through, we will decline as he has a scholarship place at an independent school which we have accepted and hopefully another family will be happy too with the Olave's place.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

olucares wrote:I did email Olave's too (out of interest really) and they replied that my DS will likely get an offer off the waiting list. However, even if the offer comes through, we will decline as he has a scholarship place at an independent school which we have accepted and hopefully another family will be happy too with the Olave's place.
So take yourself OFF St Olave's list now then.....!!!

By sitting there, knowing you are going to reject it, you are delaying the offer to someone else, which may well mean that they have invested in uniform somewhere else, or miss the induction etc. There is no need for you to wait and see if you get offered a place (except for bragging rights, which you don't need)!

Good luck with the school you have got!
EssexMum

Post by EssexMum »

Thanks all for the input
We have accepted St Olaves and declined the independent offer
Although the independent looked like an all round school n probably better suited it would have been a huge financial commitment for atleast 5 yrs (specially in these unprecedented times)
bexbrom

Post by bexbrom »

Hi this is especially for Essex mum and Brom mum - how are your boys getting on?
1 year on ( and I know what a rubbish years it’s been for education) but any wise pearls fo r a Bromley mum and son in the same position as your son last year?
Any regrets not going for private with scholarship??
We are trying to make this decision at the moment and think Olaves is probably the way to go given the financial pressures but my son has been totally swayed by the independent touch and especially feels sporting wise he will miss out.....
Thanks
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

I’ve just commented on another thread about the sports. There is rugby, cricket and Fives ( it’s been a great experience competing at Eton College!). However, Olaves can’t match the sports provision of the private schools. The academics would be hard to beat however and class sizes reduce to 25 at Year 9 and there is a very supportive pastoral attitude now. For a state school it also has good music clubs and many children play an instrument and are in the various orchestras.

The only thing I would say is that to get the most out of Olaves your child needs to push themselves forward a bit as there isn’t space for everyone in the clubs. Having said that, there’s a lot on offer, almost all of it is free. The standards of the clubs vary, for example, the chess club is run by the boys whereas at the private school we considered, a registered professional chess club provided a teacher to progress skills but there was a termly cost for this.

You have to decide whether it’s worth £20K + and rising to pay for the extra curricular differences. I would say it’s a tough choice as these extras can make all the difference to a child’s happiness and personal growth.
bexbrom

Post by bexbrom »

Thanks that’s really helpful - food for thought and more to discuss.