Go to navigation
It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 7:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Newstead wood
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:40 pm 

Qusay02 wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:
They have had pupil premium for the last three years now, it hasn't seemed to affect the scores.

Thank you very much for your help. How do you think 222 non pupil premium would likely to get an offer?

Highly likely to get in, but no guarantee as this is an odd year, but going on the past five years she would have got in, some years it may not have happened on offer day but it would have been very soon after, congratulations to your DD.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:45 pm 

PettswoodFiona wrote:
Qusay02 wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:
They have had pupil premium for the last three years now, it hasn't seemed to affect the scores.

Thank you very much for your help. How do you think 222 non pupil premium would likely to get an offer?

Highly likely to get in, but no guarantee as this is an odd year, but going on the past five years she would have got in, some years it may not have happened on offer day but it would have been very soon after, congratulations to your DD.

Thank you but as you said no guarantee since this is an odd year

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:45 pm 

PettswoodFiona wrote:
Qusay02 wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:

Thank you but as you said no guarantee since this is an odd year

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:15 pm 

Hi
My daughter just got her results -227. Is this a definite to get a place, do you think? She is not pupil premium. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:21 pm 

Jasmine76 wrote:
Hi
My daughter just got her results -227. Is this a definite to get a place, do you think? She is not pupil premium. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

That is a great score, it would be unprecedented for her not to get a place on offer day based on the scores for the past five years and if Newstead Wood was on your CAF as first choice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:37 pm 

My daughter scored similar but I am hearing of incredibly high scores from her friends. We are trying to stay hopeful but there’s really no way to know where the score ranks is there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:41 pm 

Bear in mind some of those with high scores only sit the NW exam for bragging rights and with no intention to go to 'a grotty state school' to quote one of DD's (now ex) friends parents at the time but they will be choosing private schools or under the impression a good score might leverage their DD a scholarship or similar. Others may be sitting multiple tests and NW may not be their first choice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:48 pm 

Yes, I agree. But I understand that this year due to financial uncertainties etc etc many who would previously have chosen private over a grammar will not do so. So more pressure than ever on grammar spaces.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:52 pm 

Any idea how many pupils have sat the test? And even for previous year?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:57 pm 

Fmmg wrote:
My daughter scored similar but I am hearing of incredibly high scores from her friends. We are trying to stay hopeful but there’s really no way to know where the score ranks is there.

could you share what "incredibly high scores" are? My daughter got 228, and I was quite certain she'll get a place on offer day, but after your post I'm a bit nervous...