St Olaves waiting list 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
A1Mum

Re: St Olaves waiting list 2021

Post by A1Mum »

Table below is based on SET scores & ranking data provided by Olaves for 2020:

SET Score,,,,,No. of students in each range(2020),,,,,Rank of last student in each range(2020)
58-51,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,35,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,35
50-47,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,63,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,98
46,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,24,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,122
45,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,152
44,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,182
43,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,28,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,210
42,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,43,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,253
41,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,39,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
40,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,52,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
39,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,50,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

For 2021 WL estimates, it is safe to use data from 2020 as it is most recent and also SET cut-off was similar (39 in 2020 to 40 in 2021). Unless there are substantial changes in DS performances from last year, 2020 ranking data can be replicated as:

SET Score,,,,,No. of students in each range(estimate 2021),,,,,Rank of last student in each range(estimate 2021)
59-52,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,35,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,35
50-48,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,63,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,98
47,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,24,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,122
46,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,152
45,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,182
44,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,28,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,210
43,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,43,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,253
42,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,39,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
41,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,52,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
40,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,50,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1605458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, As per data released by Olaves, cut off ranks allocated on national offer day (1st March) for 3 years were:
2019 - 215
2018 - 252
2017 - 229
Average cut-off ranking is 232.

So, looking at 2021 prediction table above and 3 yrs cut-off ranking trends, DS's in WL with scores of 43 should have a chance? WL should move further after March too as in previous years.
Ulichka23

Post by Ulichka23 »

grilnica wrote:Freedom of information request just confirmed cut-off was 46. Obviously there will be 10s of kids on that score so some will have an offer, some won't.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/st_ ... mar_school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Good luck on the WL.
They did confirm that cut off was 46. I've spoke to one of the mum and her son got an offer too and she mentioned that he scored 44 in the test, very confusing , I wonder if she just got something wrong
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Ulichka23 wrote:
grilnica wrote:Freedom of information request just confirmed cut-off was 46. Obviously there will be 10s of kids on that score so some will have an offer, some won't.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/st_ ... mar_school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Good luck on the WL.
They did confirm that cut off was 46. I've spoke to one of the mum and her son got an offer too and she mentioned that he scored 44 in the test, very confusing , I wonder if she just got something wrong

https://stolaves.s3.amazonaws.com/uploa ... 1615620485

Possibly he qualifies under one of the first two criteria and ether it doesn't occur to his mum to clarify, or she would rather not draw attention to it?

I don't know whether I'm going boss-eyed trying to read this on my phone, but whereas the original policy for 2021 admission speaks of the 'required standard' meaning being in the top x boys in the first round, who are invited back to sit the second, the Variation, though still referring to applicants having to meet the required standard, no longer specifies what this is?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
A1Mum

Post by A1Mum »

Wondering how much age standardisation and maths scores have played in these rankings. Can an Aug born DS with 44 score be as par with a Sept born with a score of 46 after standardisation? Any thoughts?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

A1Mum wrote:Wondering how much age standardisation and maths scores have played in these rankings. Can an Aug born DS with 44 score be as par with a Sept born with a score of 46 after standardisation? Any thoughts?
The standardisation is what will have given them these scores.
scary mum
A1Mum

Post by A1Mum »

scary mum wrote:
A1Mum wrote:Wondering how much age standardisation and maths scores have played in these rankings. Can an Aug born DS with 44 score be as par with a Sept born with a score of 46 after standardisation? Any thoughts?
The standardisation is what will have given them these scores.
I don't think that's the case.

In the Dec email of SET result, the school said- "....Following the Stage 2 Entrance Test, scores will be standardised and then aggregated, together with his SET marks, to allow a ranking of candidates. The rank order will be submitted to the Local Authority, who offer places to the highest ranked boys in accordance with parental preference and our Admissions Policy...."

So, the SET scores provided were not standardised then.

As per Admission Variation policy doc provided in January- "....To address the problem of not having the Stage 2 Test, the Office of the Schools Adjudicator has agreed that we use only the Stage 1 Test data to create a rank order. In the event of aggregate standardised scores being tied for two or more candidates the final rank order will be determined using a candidate’s performance in the standardised Mathematics section, then, if required, standardised English section, then the standardised Non-Verbal section, then the standardised Verbal section...."

So, standardisation has been done between Jan and 1st March, not when Stage1 results were declared.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm not familiar with this school or it's methods of ranking, but it appears to me to say that the first round was standardised
...has agreed that we use only the Stage 1 Test data to create a rank order. In the event of aggregate standardised scores being tied for two or more candidates the final rank order will be determined using a candidate’s performance in the standardised Mathematics section, then, if required, standardised English section, then the standardised Non-Verbal section, then the standardised Verbal section....
Am I misunderstanding something?

ETA the in year variation to the admissions policy states:
The SET marks scores will be standardised to allow a ranking of candidates
scary mum
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

St Olaves used to standardise, but not by age. I don't know what the other standardisation involved.
A1Mum

Post by A1Mum »

Am I misunderstanding something?

ETA the in year variation to the admissions policy...
Variation to the admissions policy and cancellation of stage2 was done due to lockdown. The only scores which parents received in December were raw scores.

Surely they have standardised now (between January and March) to prepare a ranking, which parents have no access to. Unlike Kent, Bexley etc., where raw scores, standardised scores and ranking are made available to parents.

This brings me back to my original question- "how much age standardisation and maths scores have played in these rankings. Can an Aug born DS with 44 raw score be as par with a Sept born with a score of 46 after standardisation?"
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sorrel wrote:St Olaves used to standardise, but not by age. I don't know what the other standardisation involved.
Just the standardisation of the scores of the whole cohort (presumably using only the current cohort's results, not against a national cohort), but without taking age into consideration. So the mean raw score would be the mean of all candidates and the standardised score e.g.in the maths, who scored 10 marks above the mean, would come out at the same standardised score for Maths if the boy turned 10 at the end of August or 11 on the first of September.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx