Newsteadwood results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PettswoodFiona

Re: Newsteadwood results

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Katienew wrote:My daughter got 214, Is there any chance of getting in with this score?
On offer day for September 2021 start it started at 215 so there is every chance. It was unusually low and we don't know the reasons behind that, but your daughter is in with a chance.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

admishra wrote:@PettswoodFiona - DD got 231 - so could we be hopeful with putting it Newstead as our first choice, for the offer day? We are in Orpington, so would prefer her not to travel far.
As I said above to someone who got 224 they are in with an almost certainty so 231 is a very strong score, it would have to be hugely unusual not to get in with that score, well done to your daughter.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

hermanmunster wrote:PettswoodFiona put this post together last year - very helpful!
PettswoodFiona wrote:- 2020 entry the offer day score was 220, someone with 219 was 10th on waitlist.
- For 2019 entry the offer day score was 223, not all on 223 got an offer that day
- For 2019 entry by start of September term it had gone down to 218, waitlist position 27
- For 2018 entry the offer day score was 222, not all on 222 got an offer that day
- For 2018 entry by spring it had gone down to 220 and waitlist position 13
- For 2018 by end of July it had gone down to 219, waitlist position 23
- The lowest the required score has ever gone in recent years was the 2016 entry when it was 215 by September.
Thanks Herman for posting.

For 2021 entry the offer day score was 215 so very low compared to most years, we didn't hear how far down the waitlist it got. Anyone with a qualifying score of 210 or above is certainly worth a space on your CAF.
SHIVIAG

Post by SHIVIAG »

Hi All,

My DD has scored 223 in her Newstead wood exam. What are her chances of getting a place in school?

Thanks
Jammyk

Post by Jammyk »

Hi unfortunately my daughter scored 4 points less than required score to be considered. Is it worth putting on caf anyway? Has 210 always been the standard pass mark?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

SHIVIAG wrote:Hi All,

My DD has scored 223 in her Newstead wood exam. What are her chances of getting a place in school?

Thanks
Please see the posts above, with scores gaining entry in previous years.
scary mum
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

SHIVIAG wrote:Hi All,

Thanks
Hi Shivag, well done to your daughter, if you see upthread I have explained the scores in the past and 223 is almost certain to get a place based on recent years on offer day.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Jammyk wrote:Hi unfortunately my daughter scored 4 points less than required score to be considered. Is it worth putting on caf anyway? Has 210 always been the standard pass mark?
The concept of the qualifying score came in fairly recently (about three years ago) and is also related to PP students who if they get this score will get priority. I believe it was designed to encourage PP and Forces Premium pupils to put the school down if they got this score or above and not be put off by reading about much higher scores being needed.

You could still put the school down and appeal.

There could be a freak year where it does go lower. Last year it started at 215 on offer day, I don't know how much lower it went by the start of term. It usually goes down between 3 & 4 points. The year before it started at 220. I haven't read the admissions document if they don't have enough on 210 or above if they then go outside the 9 mile radius or they go to lower marks - so do check. It hasn't happened before but it doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
Frbm

Post by Frbm »

Hi, I have twin DDs and both passed Bexley / Newstead with good scores both. They are quite different personalities and am having a hard time deciding if any of the options available would be good for both. They do not want to go to separate schools either. I would like to know if, based on your experiences, is there any profile that wouldn’t be a good fit for Newstead? I don’t mean academically, I’m sure that both will find the way through when it comes to learning and development, I am more concerned about their personalities and preferences. Any insights to share on that?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Frbm wrote:Hi, I have twin DDs and both passed Bexley / Newstead with good scores both. They are quite different personalities and am having a hard time deciding if any of the options available would be good for both. They do not want to go to separate schools either. I would like to know if, based on your experiences, is there any profile that wouldn’t be a good fit for Newstead? I don’t mean academically, I’m sure that both will find the way through when it comes to learning and development, I am more concerned about their personalities and preferences. Any insights to share on that?
Newstead seem to nurture individuality and recognition of difference, but team spirit and a sense of 'we are all in this together' if that makes sense. There is no single majority of culture, faith or race which seems to help this along. The only character who the school wouldn't suit I think is one who likes to take things easy or follow the crowd, they'd be confused at Newstead as there is no single crowd and the girls are bright and on the ball and would probably encourage that person out of their comfort zone if they were a yes person or had no opinion of their own all the time.

Newstead do not have subject blocks when the girls go to take their GCSEs so there are lots of options and combinations. Similarly at A Level.

Also at Townley they used to push the girls to all do separate sciences even if they knew they didn't want to go down the science route. I note only 12 did combined science in 2019 for example a few years ago none did, so maybe they are bending a bit. Whilst Newstead is very STEM focused the girls still get a choice and can do separate sciences or combined science - it is fully their choice - with one to one meetings with a senior member of the teaching staff to help them decide. If you have one sporty child there is lots of please them, if like my daughter they are not sporty then there are other options like fitness or sports leadership to keep them involved in sport and active but not push them all in the same direction.

Hopefully someone with experience from Townley will come along and balance out the info.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now