Oversubscription criteria for multiples - Bexley, NW, Kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Frbm

Oversubscription criteria for multiples - Bexley, NW, Kent

Post by Frbm »

Hoping that someone can clarify my question. I have checked most GS and it seems that all consider priority for candidates whose siblings are already in the school. However, only one mentioned having priority for multiples (twins, triplets, etc). In that case, once one is offered a place, the other qualified brothers/sisters would be offered a place too. Does anyone know if this is applied for any other GS?
PettswoodFiona

Re: Oversubscription criteria for multiples - Bexley, NW, Ke

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Newstead don’t give priority for siblings or twins, it is is about score compared to their peers.

Some Kent grammars that just choose on pass that have a priority parish will put siblings who pass the test in a higher category so if e.g the family move away then the sibling can get a place even if they are out of area. Bexley grammars are similar. It is simpler for grammars that have a pass (rather than ranked score) as then provided the child qualify other oversubscription criteria like sibling links can apply and distance can be moved down the oversubscription list. For the super selectives that are based on score can’t give priority to anyone other than score - unless described in their admissions criteria and even then it is still often a lower score eg for pupil premium.
Frbm

Post by Frbm »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Newstead don’t give priority for siblings or twins, it is is about score compared to their peers.

Some Kent grammars that just choose on pass that have a priority parish will put siblings who pass the test in a higher category so if e.g the family move away then the sibling can get a place even if they are out of area. Bexley grammars are similar. It is simpler for grammars that have a pass (rather than ranked score) as then provided the child qualify other oversubscription criteria like sibling links can apply and distance can be moved down the oversubscription list. For the super selectives that are based on score can’t give priority to anyone other than score - unless described in their admissions criteria and even then it is still often a lower score eg for pupil premium.
The school I mentioned stated that, in case of multiples, the sibling would be offered a place in addition to the places initially available. The DC wouldn’t take a place from another one with higher score. For example, in case of NW, it would mean offering 169 places rather than 168. I understand that siblings are not priority for NW anyway. However, I was wondering if similar rule is applicable somewhere else, as this is a very important for us. DD1 got 227 / DD2 225, I believe those are safe scores for both, but we never know…
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Every school will have its own admissions and yes some grammars do admit multiples if they qualify and one is at the oversubscription criteria and then there is a cut off they would extend an offer to the twin or triplets. However each school will interpret this differently so you will need to check the admissions criteria of each school. If there is no mention of twins or siblings but eg distance it would be be a case if how they defined their tie break when distance is identical eg random allocation for the last place. Often though the last place isn’t really the last place as there is often a lot of movement throughout the summer.
Frbm

Post by Frbm »

Yes, that’s a tough one. It’s already hard enough deciding on one CAF. Two, when you want both together, is something else. My thoughts: Same list for both and in case they are offered places for different schools, I add each one to the other’s school waiting list. Does it make sense?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If you want then at the same school yes that makes sense. I have a friend with twins and they had very different personalities and chose different schools.
Frbm

Post by Frbm »

PettswoodFiona wrote:If you want then at the same school yes that makes sense. I have a friend with twins and they had very different personalities and chose different schools.
They definitely want the same. In case DD1 is offered our first choice (NW) and DD2 is offered the second choice (C&S), I understand that it is a simple process to add DD2 to NWs list and wait to see if she is offered a place too. How does it work when it’s the other way around? Adding the DD1 who got offered the first choice to a waiting list for the second choice?
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Frbm, are you in Borough of Bromley? From memory I don't think it's easy to get yourself added to the waiting list of a lower choice (unlike Kent) but do check. If the absolute overriding priority is to be together, you might be best putting C&S first.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If your DDs both have scores of 220 or above they are almost certain to gain a place at Newstead Wood if you put it on your CAF as first preference based on recent years. If you want to let me know the scores here or via pm then I can better advise.

You can go on waiting list for a lower preference school - but in most instances this is a manual process of contacting the school and LA and whilst you’d probably jump almost to the top you may be competing with people who moved to the area more recently or submitted a late application unless they have a multiples policy.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sorrel wrote:Frbm, are you in Borough of Bromley? From memory I don't think it's easy to get yourself added to the waiting list of a lower choice (unlike Kent) but do check. If the absolute overriding priority is to be together, you might be best putting C&S first.
Assuming Bromley, I had a look (there was a niggling memory of someone a few years back needing to change his order of oreference after allocations and having to wait and put in a mid-year transfer application). Iirc, you can add new preferences, which won't be acted upon until after a date in May, but I wasn't entirely sure whether it could only be entirely new applications, or could include a lower preference (because 'your' offer from that school evaporated with the ability of a higher-ranked school to offer a place). The other option would appear to be to try submitting an appeal, in the meantime hoping that a place came up from the waiting list. The advantage of the appeal route, if permitted, is 1. that you do have a chance, however small, of succeeding and 2. if any appeals are successful, everyone still on the waiting list is dependent on that number of pupils dropping out as well as the original single drop-out it would have taken to get the school back under PAN.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx